AOW:Feb 1-7

JSngry

f52379d6i1l.jpg

Recently rescued from rarity by Hyena, readily available at a good price on-(and most likely off-)line, challenging enough in spots to be of at least some interest to those with more "outre" tastes, familiar enough to appeal to those with more "conservative" tastes, cause for a JACK WILSON ALERT, a great cross-section of all the things EH was into, all of it live, all of it entertaining (in the best possible sense), some of it outright funnier than hell, and all of it as good as it gets from this guy. A great introduction to a player some of you might know only by reputation, if at all, and an essential item for those already into him. My "first call" EH disc, actually, all things considered. Closest thing to "controversial" might be the first cut, which might come off as "draggy" to some ears (I'd agree, but find other, more redeeming qualities that overcome that). Other than that, should be fun for everybody. And it's only one disc!

Enjoy folks, this is good stuff.

(and thanks to EKE for the nod!)

Coincidentally, I was just listening to this CD this morning, around 2:00AM - first thing in the morning for me. It's really a solid album, worth picking up for the AOTW thing or just on general principle. Even a bit of Eddie Harris schtick, for those who never had the pleasure of catching him live...and those who did. Harris made a few questionable albums, but this ain't one. Right up there with his comedy album.

It's sounds are filling my room right now! That first track is Eddie at his coolest! Sure would like to know what made the audience laugh and applaud in the opening theme. They had a good time, clapping happily along ...

Mike, were did you buy it?

Here they want 38 CHF for Hyena releases (around 25 Euros!!)

ubu

A timely choice for me considering I am in the midst of my first exposure to Harris and have been thoroughly investigating his artistry for the past couple of weeks. This is one that I do not have, but if Jim is recommending it I am checking it out. I just ordered it from half.com for $8.98 and looking forward to my first participation in the AOTW.

Mike, were did you buy it?

Here they want 38 CHF for Hyena releases (around 25 Euros!!)

I bought it several years ago in its first incarnation on Night Records, a previous Joel Dorn label. This was distributed by Virgin in Germany and sold out very cheap ... you still can get them cheap on ebay.

Oh yeah. Some of you might think/know of Harris only as a commercially oriented funk(y) player. Rest assured, that's NOT what you get here. More meat than a John Holmes highlight reel.

BTW - our friend Geoff is picking AOW after me, so stay tuned!

Thanks, JSngry for the nomination.

I havn't heard this album, but I'd liked to check it out.

Not one of Eddie Harris' strongest albums, but sure representative of what he was doing live in clubs during his last decade. I caught him with a set like this in Frankfurt's legendary Jazzkeller, where had jammed with local musicians in his Army days. It was there, all of it: cool tenor, hot tenor, stunning unaccompanied improvisations with his custom made electronic cabinet, funky rhythms, bluesy piano, funny vocals, Amazing scatting ... a versatile jazz entertainer in the best sense of the word, close to his audience, with a lot of substance beneath it all. Eddie had SOUL!!! Lots of it! A true original.

There was an interview in Jazz Podium magazine shortly after telling about his dedication to the music, his frustrations, political awarenes, and never ending journey through music (reprinted in Christain Broecking's "Der Marsalis-Faktor", for the German reading board members).

Some quotes (re-translated!):

"Often young musicians approach me, like Joshua Redman, and ask for advice, and they know I am not in a position of envy. I had a million seller when I was their age. Back then I had bodyguards and drew a lot more people than the jazz youngsters of today. I was a pop star. So you cannot tell me anything. But all the people back then sayinf I was better than Sonny Stitt, Stan Getz or Sonny Rollins obviously were nuts. Sure, I came up at a time when these cats were all still around. But the point is that back then I had no idea whatsoever about the business and performing. I play much better today than at the time when I started and was an overnight success. In other words: In the US you start at the top and then make your way down - instead of the other way 'round, which would make much more sense. That's the way the business goes. And as you can see today - that hasn't changed. Look at Wynton Marsalis, Joshua Redman and whatever their names are. And then you take a look to the side - and you discover Tony Williams. When he sat in with Miles as a youngster, he was the nation's upstart. Today he plays better than ever, but hardly anyone notices. That doesn't make any sense to me."

Back to the music: There's a bit of everything, and there may be better samples of

all these styles in his discography, but here you get it all, and if you ever caught him live, you know it's the real thing. But it didn't appear as disjointed as on this record, the programming could be better.

For Eddie in his masterful cool mainstream prime, consider "There was a Time" on ENJA. For all the other stuff, any of his sxities Atlantic stuff, maybe the leftover collection "Excursions" (available on a Collectables CD) for starters.

I listened to this disc a few times over the weekend. Overall I enjoyed the disc, if not as much as a couple of other Eddie Harris recordings I have heard recently. If nothing else, this disc showed a few of the many sides of Harris. My favorite track was the opening "Chicago Serenade". The group gets a nice soulful groove and sustains it throughout and Harris' solo is typically good. The group gets into an even deeper groove on "Illusionary Dreams". "Cherokee" is proof of Harris technical mastery of the horn and "Lover Man" is a nice rendition of the ballad. The only potential flaw to me would be the two tracks that possibly others will enjoy - "Don't Let Me Go" and "Listen Here". On both of these tracks Harris plays all the instruments with the help of a cassette recording of himself. I think this thing probably works better for the listener live as opposed to hearing it on a recording. For me, it sounded a little gimmicky. Harris singing through his tenor to emulate Billie Holiday singing is interesting, but in the end did not move me particularly. Also, I enjoy Harris' composition "Listen Here", but IMO this version does not add anything to the composition. While listening to these tracks I could not help but wonder what purpose they serve since we know Harris had a band available with him at the performance. He could as easily sang through his horn using the rhythm section that was on the gig, so why do it all by yourself, but to show that you can?

Anyway, those are small gripes on an otherwise enjoyable recording.

The only potential flaw to me would be the two tracks that possibly others will enjoy - "Don't Let Me Go" and "Listen Here". On both of these tracks Harris plays all the instruments with the help of a cassette recording of himself. I think this thing probably works better for the listener live as opposed to hearing it on a recording. For me, it sounded a little gimmicky. Harris singing through his tenor to emulate Billie Holiday singing is interesting, but in the end did not move me particularly. Also, I enjoy Harris' composition "Listen Here", but IMO this version does not add anything to the composition. While listening to these tracks I could not help but wonder what purpose they serve since we know Harris had a band available with him at the performance. He could as easily sang through his horn using the rhythm section that was on the gig, so why do it all by yourself, but to show that you can?

Anyway, those are small gripes on an otherwise enjoyable recording.

Correct! If you had ever seen how much he enjoyed himself - and the audience enjoyed his joking - this wouldn't be much of an issue. But I can see that it might alienate someone who never caught him live.

And you need a rhythm section capable of handling the proper groove for Listen Here!

I think it's exactly the diversity of the programming here that appeals to me so much about this one. That, and the straight-ahead playing captures Eddie letting loose to a degree that I don't think the studio sides do, even the best ones. It's like, if you met somebody who had never heard of Eddie Harris and they asked you, "Hey Waldo! What was this Eddie Harris cat all about anyway?" You could either hand the cat a big stack of stuff and say, "Go through this big pile of stuff, sort out the Wheaties from the Shaft, and then you'll know".

OR....

You could hand them THIS CD, and say, "Check this out, lemme know what you like, and we can take it from there, ok?" Sure, there's better individual cuts on some albums than what you get here, but here you get it all, and none of it exactly sucks. ;)

Besides, the cut with the fantasy about being a big star, what with Eddie singing all the "sweetening" parts is about as simultaneously sidesplitting and poignant as anything there is!

Edited by JSngry

Is there something wrong with Eddie, or is it the fact that only few board members have this disc?

Or is everything relevant already said in the Eddie Harris Corner?

Or is there something I just don't get?

I love Eddie and any of his discs and at makes me somewhat sad there are not more replies here. :(

Jim mentioned this disk when I first asked for recommendations way back when. Hyena disks are badly distributed over here in my neck of the woods (you know about that I guess). I was too lazy and too busy with other music to order it from a stateside distributor.

It's silly these disks are so badly distributed over here.

Same problem here. Too many new acquisitions anyway, and here they want some 25 euros for Hyena discs, which is rather ridiculous... And I think the EH is the only one they have!

However, nothing at all wrong with EH in my opinion! Nothing wrong at all! I really love him - yes, I did contribute a little bit to the EH Corner, so...

sorry!

ubu

• 10 years later...

Just bought this ... sealed, but there was no booklet in it, so I lack all info ... could any kind soul let me know if in the first place there should have been one?

And if anyone can help me out (w/photocopies, a scan, a handy snapshot, whatever), please get in touch privately, would be most appreciated! I don't feel like going through the hassle of trying to return it and get a replacement. Too much sh*t lately with amazon ...

Edited to add: I think I can gather the info (line-ups etc) myself, discogs has some of it already ... but still, some scans would be cool!)

Edited by king ubu