Self-deprecating Jewish Humor: Ill Effects?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That wasn't my experience. I was toe-to-toe with the 'wages of sin is death' crowd-and this wasn't the first time. If you're not 'saved' and dont repent and accept Christ as Saviour-straight to H-E-double hockey sticks. Do not pass Go, forget Marvin Gardens. Belief in Jehovah cuts no ice with this crew.

That wasn't my experience. I was toe-to-toe with the 'wages of sin is death' crowd-and this wasn't the first time. If you're not 'saved' and dont repent and accept Christ as Saviour-straight to H-E-double hockey sticks. Do not pass Go, forget Marvin Gardens. Belief in Jehovah cuts no ice with this crew.

Nut burgers come in all stripes, Fasstrack.

It would be more than a little bit unreasonable to think all Christians are those "turn or burn", Koran hating, mega church, tea party yutzes. The vast majority are not from the looney right and actualy follow the teachings found in the New Testament.

To those of us enlightened believers,

...and count yourself among them.

Thanks, Pete...I think.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Jews are forbidden from proselytizing among "gentiles" (it's OK for the Mitzvah Tank to encourage wayward Jews to return to active worship), but anybody who chooses to convert and goes through the sanctioned training process is welcomed in principle (even if there may be naysayer indvidiuals). In most cases it's to satisfy a potential spouse or spouse's family who, IMO, has often bullied the person into conversion (refusal to accept a marriage without conversion is a form of bullying, no?).

He was from a Scottish background - and had embraced the Jewish faith.

There are plenty of Scottish Jews. I knew a guy whose ancestry was Scottish Jewish, and he said, "I'm doubly cheap." Which reminds me of a Scottish condom joke...

what are you saying exactly? do you know? i'd like to know...

Can we have a rubber stamp made of that?

No, the way it was relayed to me, by my bemused cousin, was that he was a regular garden variety Scot of the Billy Connolly ilk.

If you had known the family, the fact that a Scottish convert oversaw the Jewish funeral would be the case for great mirth.

Hey, I'm an antizionist flaming atheist and I identify as Jewish.

An atheist simply cannot be a Jewish believer.

does this mean an atheist can be a christian believer?

Nope.

i don't know what you wanted us to understand when you replied to Pete C. "An atheist simply cannot be a Jewish believer." did you think he wasn't aware that the term 'atheist' means a person who thinks there's no God? 'cuz i assume he does know that. and i also assume that you know he knows that. what are you saying exactly? do you know? i'd like to know...

not interested, eh? not surprised...

Goodspeak, I hear you-and to clarify, I have had nothing but good experiences with Methodists. I teach for a pastor in a Methodist church and have attended services at many. The inscription 'all are welcome' at the door is the McCoy. Very non-judgemental and Buddhist-like in their acceptance and compassion. I'm also very close w/a Christian woman who wants happiness, not salvation for me. When she says I'm in her prayers I am happy indeed. Regardless of how, where, or even IF one worships 'ain't nothin' like the real thing'. And it is personal, and best kept that way.

Goodspeak, I hear you-and to clarify, I have had nothing but good experiences with Methodists. I teach for a pastor in a Methodist church and have attended services at many. The inscription 'all are welcome' at the door is the McCoy. Very non-judgemental and Buddhist-like in their acceptance and compassion. I'm also very close w/a Christian woman who wants happiness, not salvation for me. When she says I'm in her prayers I am happy indeed. Regardless of how, where, or even IF one worships 'ain't nothin' like the real thing'. And it is personal, and best kept that way.

I absolutely agree with you.

Why more Christians don't get on board with that concept is beyond me. You simply cannot shove religion down somebody's throat...it has to be a personal choice.

Well put.

Nope.

i don't know what you wanted us to understand when you replied to Pete C. "An atheist simply cannot be a Jewish believer." did you think he wasn't aware that the term 'atheist' means a person who thinks there's no God? 'cuz i assume he does know that. and i also assume that you know he knows that. what are you saying exactly? do you know? i'd like to know...

Pete knew what I meant and that is enough for me.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Why more Christians don't get on board with that concept is beyond me. You simply cannot shove religion down somebody's throat...it has to be a personal choice.

Well put.

Nope.

I have nothing to add. I just wanted to keep those embedded quotes going.

Well put.

Nope.

I have nothing to add. I just wanted to keep those embedded quotes going.

Careful. We once broke the internet doing that.

Well put.

Nope.

that's cool. you two obviously have some kind of forum history w/ each other. rock on...

just so you know, when i read this exchange below...:

...it reads to me as you stating that one cannot be Jewish without believing in God. i actually can't see reading it any other way. i assume you know there are a lot of people who would disagree w/ you on that.

or maybe you and Pete have some running gag that gives a completely different meaning to that exchange that nobody from outside the joke could decipher? whatever the case may be, just wanted to let you know what it looks like to this reader...

Edited by thedwork

I don't agree with the statement "Pete knew what I meant." I rarely know what he means.

Yeah you did, Pete.

We have already gone around on this notion that a person can claim to be atheist but not claim he is Jewish.

Disclaimer: Does not include various religious orthodoxy, selective reasoning, self-delusion, heart mummer, gout, low blood pressure, seborrhea, gonorrhea, diarrhea, black lung, hasty decisions, foot fungus, COPD, ED, CD, intestinal blockage, brain drain, possible rain or low self-esteem.

Your mileage may differ. Batteries not included. Not sold in stores.

It DOES NOT belong in Politics and Religion. I started this to posit theories and get feedback on Jewish self-deprecting humor-a CULTURAL phenomenon. The article appeared as a social critique in a secular newspaper in a democracy. What religion? What politics? I'm not responsible for the little sideshows. That'll happen...

I don't agree with the statement "Pete knew what I meant." I rarely know what he means.

Yeah you did, Pete.

We have already gone around on this notion that a person can claim to be atheist but not claim he is Jewish.

wow goodspeak. is goodspeak short for gobbledygook? i'll let David Rabe speak for me here: If your manner of [writing in this thread] is in any way a reflection of what goes on inside your head, you are lucky you can tie your shoes. maybe you make sense in person?

Disclaimer: Does not include various religious orthodoxy, selective reasoning, self-delusion, heart mummer, gout, low blood pressure, seborrhea, gonorrhea, diarrhea, black lung, hasty decisions, foot fungus, COPD, ED, CD, intestinal blockage, brain drain, possible rain or low self-esteem.

Your mileage may differ. Batteries not included. Not sold in stores.

fun w/ words and phrases! clever clever. how's that working out for you?

I'd like to report a hijacked thread, officer... Guys, get back on topic, please-and as a reward I'll spring for a motel room for you 2...

Let the record show, Thedwork had the issue here. I, however, hijacked nothing.

But, if you insist upon providing a hotel room, I'd kinda like to see New York. Book a 4-Star for my wife and me, OK? A week would be fine. I'll pay the airfare.

is there a Jewish comedy "style?" i don't know. i tend to think yeah, somewhat. but i also tend to feel that much of it may just be Jewish people being creatively funny and people point to that and say, "Jewish Comedy" when it's more like comedy that happens to be made by a Jewish person. same as many cultural traits that are claimed by certain groups but which are actually relatively universal: like the importance of family (italians like to claim that one...), tradition, self-reliance, guilt, etc etc... "Jewish guilt." as if other groups don't have guilt. catholic guilt, etc...

anyway, here's some comedy that has specific references to Jewishness (or at least Jewish stereotypes...) and issues relating to Jewish identity/culture. i strung together the bits that were pertinent to this thread from her Jesus Is Magic show. self-deprecating? sometimes. Jewy? for sure. imo, she's a hero and fucking hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh8IJX6-6Aw

is there anything about the humor in this clip that is particularly "Jewish" in content/style? aside from the fact that Mel Brooks is Jewish?

by the way - she is of course insanely hot...

Perhaps not in this small snippet :D And maybe not even self-deprecating. But we are back on the topic of humour.

What were you saying?