A New Series in the Bay Area This Wednesday (Ornette Music)...

News from the Bay Area front: I'm debuting a new series in Oakland this week, effectively titled "X v Y"... it occurred to me some time ago that the area was bursting with not only challenging, well-realized original music but also a strong tradition of interpretive/cover performance (I think there's a cottage industry of Bay Area guys doing Monk's music, for example). "X v Y" was set up to allow locals to present original composition alongside the concepts and ideas of renowned masters. The "ideal" is to have one person do one artist a night (ridiculous, since it means one person is effectively arranging three sets--BUT), and I'm kicking things off with a night of Ornette Coleman music.

I'll be showcasing (1) my own group Grex (who will, in turn, be interpreting some of Old and New Dreams' more iconic Don Cherryisms), (2) a song band, which examines some of Ornette's songs (i.e., the "Science Fiction" stuff, music he's guested on, etc.) and (3) a quartet that will look at some of Ornette's lesser known melodies. It's not a typical night of this sort, considering we won't really be doing any "hits"--but that music has its place, and plenty have (very effectively and powerfully) reexamined "Congeniality," "Ramblin," "Turnaround," etc. I wanted to showcase the ways in which Ornette's general concepts--even in terms of less familiar melodies--have become so pervasive and adaptable that they don't need the (sort of) crutch of canonization or ear memory to sound resonant and powerful.

Anyway, details for those who might be in town:

X v Y Pt. 1: Karl Evangelista Plays Ornette Coleman

Wednesday, July 25, 8pm

@ Swarm Gallery (560 2nd Street, Oakland, CA)

www.karlevangelista.com

www.grexsounds.com

Featuring Jon Arkin (drums), Scott Brown (bass), Jordan Glenn (drums), Jason Hoopes (bass), Robert Lopez (drums), Caitlin Moe (vocals), Zeina Nasr (vocals), Rei Scampavia (keys), Aram Shelton (alto sax)