2012 Olympics

Well, I'm not watching any of it but even a sportaphobe like me can't help but get excited by the achievements of the Brit Olympians when listening to the news - i even keep checking the BBC site to see if there are more medals.

As a nation we have self-denigration off to a fine art - even our Prime Minister is happy to talk tosh about our society being 'broken'. So it's great to feel this wave of pride and optimism for a change.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not watching any of it but even a sportaphobe like me can't help but get excited by the achievements of the Brit Olympians when listening to the news - i even keep checking the BBC site to see if there are more medals.

As a nation we have self-denigration off to a fine art - even our Prime Minister is happy to talk tosh about our society being 'broken'. So it's great to feel this wave of pride and optimism for a change.

Well said Bev.

I have the same feeling here in Tokyo and find myself regularly checking the BBC News website.

My Japanese colleagues are all very impressed both by the performance of Team GB and the London Olympics in general. The consensus seems to be that the games have been a great success thus far.

Well said Bev.

I have the same feeling here in Tokyo and find myself regularly checking the BBC News website.

My Japanese colleagues are all very impressed both by the performance of Team GB and the London Olympics in general. The consensus seems to be that the games have been a great success thus far.

I heard on BBC radio yesterday that some are referring to the London Olympics as "The Crying Games" with so many participants who have been winning that have burst into tears :D

Edited by Mike Schwartz

Well said Bev.

I heard on BBC radio yesterday that some are referring to the London Olympics as "The Crying Games" with so many participants who have been winning that have burst into tears :D

The Crying Games. I hope there's not a big podium reveal at the end.

A bit more stiff upper lip called for there, what?

I blame all these 'You Can Be A Star' and 'Reunite with Relations you never knew you had' type programmes on TV. Bet Nelson wasn't blubbing, sprawled on the deck of the Victory, as he was told that the French and Spanish had been given a good hiding.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I blame all these 'You Can Be A Star' and 'Reunite with Relations you never knew you had' type programmes on TV. Bet Nelson wasn't blubbing, sprawled on the deck of the Victory, as he was told that the French and Spanish had been given a good hiding.

I doubt Geoffrey Boycott would be impressed with all this blubbering either.

I doubt Geoffrey Boycott would be impressed with all this blubbering either.

He should be happy - 'we' are ahead of Australia :lol:

Screen%20Shot%202012-08-07%20at%2023_32_48%20(Yorkshire%20On%20Olympic%20Medal%20Table).png

Same here.

But then I don't get Equestrian, either. The Olympics are for human feats of athletic endeavor, yes? I mean, the horse does all the work and the rider is given the medal...?

And they have to put up with the ruling classes on their backs :g

I did get a bit more respect for the BMXers when I saw the two nasty crashes. I still felt like calling their parents though.

To make it a game

It should The Mamba and LBJ vs the other team's entire squad

That's right 12 on 2

The Women's USA squad is the only team that might give those guys a run for their money

That would be Harlem Globetrotter-esque.

Allyson Felix winning gold last night was great as was May-Treanor/Jennings Walsh winning a 3rd straight gold in beach volleyball, the match with China was tough. I have been disheartened being a boxing fan with the Olympic boxing yet again. These international officials come from places where there's not a lot of pro stuff around (Cuba obviously, and others) and they don't get pro styles, effective aggression, body shots. The scoring has to go and be replaced by a 10 point must, there have been so many garbage calls this Olympics, such as Shimizu vs. the Azerbaijan fighter, which thankfully was overturned in favor of the Japanese fighter.

what I don't get is all this gushing over the US Women's gymnastics team.

Is there any other sport where you see so many obvious glaring errors? For example, the balance beam - you have a 30 second routine and you almost fall off or actually fall off 3 times and you win a medal.

I understand these young ladies are extremely talented, but hey if the routines are too complicated then tone it down. If I want to see kids falling off the bars, I can go to my local playground.

And why do they all sound like the Kardashians? Tell me gymnastics is over please.

On the other hand - diving, beach volleyball, showed some tremendous skills.

I understand that this year is the first year the US has sent more women then men, but if you watch the NBC coverage, you would think the US hardly has any men at the Olympics.

I understand that this year is the first year the US has sent more women then men, but if you watch the NBC coverage, you would think the US hardly has any men at the Olympics.

As I understand it, NBC coverage is geared toward prime-time viewership. The prime-time TV-watching demographic is mostly female, so NBC programs accordingly, and does not target the "typical sports fan". Thus you see boatloads of gymnastics in the Summer Olympics and figure skating in the Winter Games, sports that have proven to deliver high Nielsen ratings.

Is there any other sport where you see so many obvious glaring errors? For example, the balance beam - you have a 30 second routine and you almost fall off or actually fall off 3 times and you win a medal.

I understand these young ladies are extremely talented, but hey if the routines are too complicated then tone it down. If I want to see kids falling off the bars, I can go to my local playground.

And why do they all sound like the Kardashians? Tell me gymnastics is over please.

:rofl: Ah, thank you! Last night I let out a stream of obscenities last night that amounted to "still with the gymnastics?" mostly because it meant more amped up routines that they can't even practice much lest a neck get broken. And they need to give these girls anti-helium before they talk.

:rofl: Ah, thank you! Last night I let out a stream of obscenities last night that amounted to "still with the gymnastics?" mostly because it meant more amped up routines that they can't even practice much lest a neck get broken. And they need to give these girls anti-helium before they talk.

I feel the same way about all of the swimming and water sports at the expense of track and field. I've seen every heat and every form of swimming for almost 2 weeks now. Yet, some heats in the hurdles and sprints of track are not shown. And the field events, forget about it. Probably less than fifteen minutes, all total for men and women, have been devoted to field events. I thought T & F was the premier event of the olympics. It certainly draws the largest attendance.

I feel the same way about all of the swimming and water sports at the expense of track and field. I've seen every heat and every form of swimming for almost 2 weeks now. Yet, some heats in the hurdles and sprints of track are not shown. And the field events, forget about it. Probably less than fifteen minutes, all total for men and women, have been devoted to field events. I thought T & F was the premier event of the olympics. It certainly draws the largest attendance.

Exactly. It's not just that they're choosing to bombard us with gymnastics and swimming and beach volleyball at the expense of the field events in track. How much time to they spend on goofy interviews, profiles of random athletes, and the often irrelevant pieces by Jimmy Roberts and Mary Carillo? In prime time! I actually like a lot of those pieces, but they shouldn't be aired in prime time at the expense of important competition. f you want to follow track and field, you have to: a) ignore what the tv menus are telling you is going to be aired that night; and b) Sit through l-o-n-g blocks of coverage of gymnastics, beach volleyball, etc, and hope that you can stay awake until the late hours.

That would be sulfur hexafluoride or xenon: