2012 Olympics

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to London to attend the Olympics as I am a huge Track and Field fan-HOWEVER, I do not

have tickets to any events. Everything sold out last October.

Plus decent tickets PER DAY are $600-1000! :blink: Out of my price range!

I may be watching the events from a pub. At least there won't be as many commercials as on

US TV.

I checked Ronnie Scott's schedule. Only the house band thru Olympics and then Roy Ayers the

night before I leave. 50-80 pounds admission.

Any other jazz scheduled during the Olympics?

Any local Londoners want to meet up? I may have some time on my hands.. :shrug[1]:

I am open to attend some other Olympic sports events if anyone has any leads on some reasonable

priced events.

I arrive next Tuesday late afternoon and in town till Aug. 14. Will be getting a throw away phone to make calls as my Sprint phone will not work there

Someone suggested a place called Tesco where I can get a phone at 30 pounds including some minutes?? True?

Would love a PM from locals. I am in Portland thru Sunday.

Jeff

I am going to London to attend the Olympics as I am a huge Track and Field fan-HOWEVER, I do not

have tickets to any events. Everything sold out last October.

Plus decent tickets PER DAY are $600-1000! :blink: Out of my price range!

I may be watching the events from a pub. At least there won't be as many commercials as on

US TV.

I checked Ronnie Scott's schedule. Only the house band thru Olympics and then Roy Ayers the

night before I leave. 50-80 pounds admission.

Any other jazz scheduled during the Olympics?

Any local Londoners want to meet up? I may have some time on my hands.. :shrug[1]:

I am open to attend some other Olympic sports events if anyone has any leads on some reasonable

priced events.

I arrive next Tuesday late afternoon and in town till Aug. 14. Will be getting a throw away phone to make calls as my Sprint phone will not work there

Someone suggested a place called Tesco where I can get a phone at 30 pounds including some minutes?? True?

Would love a PM from locals. I am in Portland thru Sunday.

Jeff

You can certainly get a cheap phone at Tesco - my wife uses one. Tesco is a supermarket chain, mainly at out of town shopping centres, though I'm sure there will be some in central London.

Here's a link - though it's for rentals.

http://shop.tescomobile.com/collection/special_offers?tmcampid=22&tmad=c&gclid=CPj1o6L5t7ECFRMgtAodMnMA4g

MG

All life in Australia as we know it stops as of tomorrow morning. We are a nation defined by our sporting culture. Nothing else matters to Australia or Australians for the next two weeks except Gold, Gold, Gold. All that will preoccupy the country will be in comparing our medals tally against the USA. All media commentary will focus on how well we do for such a small nation. We will monitor every minute detail of London's Olympics to keep alive the consensus that Sydney delivered the best Olympics ever.

I am not being cynical or sardonic. This is really how it is.

Personally, I look forward to re-acquanting my interest in things I never think about - but for every four years, ie., rhythmic gymnastics, triple jumping, long distance running, pole vaulting high-board diving and the 1500 metre freestyle swimming final. And will watch with interest the emergence of people I've never heard of before, who become National heroes. This happens in Australia on a daily basis during the games.

I suppose in the States, it is big enough for anyone to escape the games saturation if they want?

Sorry UK forum members, I guess you're trapped :D

I have tickets for Usain Bolt and the 200m mens final day :)

Tonight's show in the stadium should be a hoot !

Do you have any inside information :)

How are they going to portray your National story :D

If the stories are to be believed there will be lots of green/rustic stuff, a mini-Glastonbury Tor, cricket, simulated non-stop rain and pens full of sheep being herded - plus 'nurses' pushing hospital trollies round the track :blink:

Yes, bread and circuses like we've never seen 'em before. :(

I take it you won't be watching it on the TV then Bill?.. :)

Edited by sidewinder

Well I woke up at 7.00am and rushed to the TV set to catch whatever was left of the opening ceremony...and what do I see...Johnny Rotten gobbing on me from a giant screen. It's just not cricket :)

What a strange phenomena these opening ceremonies have become. I blame Andrew Lloyd Webber, I really do.

I have tickets for Usain Bolt and the 200m mens final day :)

Tonight's show in the stadium should be a hoot !

Do you have any inside information :)

How are they going to portray your National story :D

If the stories are to be believed there will be lots of green/rustic stuff, a mini-Glastonbury Tor, cricket, simulated non-stop rain and pens full of sheep being herded - plus 'nurses' pushing hospital trollies round the track :blink:

Yes, bread and circuses like we've never seen 'em before. :(

I take it you won't be watching it on the TV then Bill?.. :)

Right first time, Sidewinder!

Didn't see any of it but heard the radio reports - glad they went quirky rather than pomp and circumstance. Though I did catch Parry and Elgar in there.

Hilarious to hear the looney right getting all uptight. Hopefully they'll be a samba band and chicken tikka all round in the closing knees-up.