2012 Olympics

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already controversy re-ticketing. It seems the best seats in the house for all events have gone to VIP's and corporates, who as usual don't turn up. Resulting in what looks like badly attended events. People beginning to complain that thousands are missing out on watching the games. I bet they'll all come out for the 'marquee event' finals though.

Macca didn't do Her Majesty at the opening ceremony :(:g

Edited by freelancer

Gold US-1 Aust-1 GB -0 :)

Early days. Overtaking the Aussies ie scheduled for around mid-week. :g

:g I think our Olympic talking heads are expecting it. They are already rehearsing our excuses. Along the lines of 'Great Britain has modelled their preparation for these games on the Australian model. They have sunk lots of money into ensuring success, they have stolen our intellectual property...etc.etc.etc."

The excuses will be just like The Ashes, when the ball starts swinging and our middle order collapses :g

There is already a national outrage under way because our 4×100 relay team missed out on Gold.

Edited by freelancer

Didn't see any of it but heard the radio reports - glad they went quirky rather than pomp and circumstance. Though I did catch Parry and Elgar in there.

Hilarious to hear the looney right getting all uptight. Hopefully they'll be a samba band and chicken tikka all round in the closing knees-up.

Somehow, a lot of the ceremony reminded me of Rob Young's 'Electric Eden' book brought to life, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Good entrance by Her Maj..

image.jpg

My young daughters were complaining that the Queen always looks so dour/sad. "She's the Queen," they say, "why isn't she smiling and having fun?" It did take some effort to convince them that it wasn't really her parachuting out of that chopper. ;)

8 Badminton players expelled for trying to lose their matches to secure lower seedings, and thus less competition (or something like that).

No offense to any supporters of badminton (or ping pong), but these just don't seem like Olympic sports to me.

8 Badminton players expelled for trying to lose their matches to secure lower seedings, and thus less competition (or something like that).

No offense to any supporters of badminton (or ping pong), but these just don't seem like Olympic sports to me.

Certainly more of a sport than biathlon (which requires a machine), or rhythmic gymnastics or ice dancing (technically demanding interpretive dance). Ping pong at that level requires as much skill as regular tennis and probably better hand-eye coordination and reaction time.

As for USA basketball, they could have won by 60 if they'd opted not to showboat in the 1st and 4th quarters and keyed in on one Tunisian player who was draining open jumpers.

Edited by Big Wheel

The NYT story on the badminton fiasco makes the badminton federation look pretty bad. They set up a dumb system this year and are now penalizing the players for playing strategically. Is this really so different from a swimmer who saves his energy for the big heats and takes it easy in the quals, just making sure he finishes 8th or whatever?

Trying very hard not to get caught up in the Olympics hype (and not turning on the TV at all helps ^_^ ).

Still, it sounds like the U.S. women's gymnastics team winning the gold was a pretty special moment. Might try to figure out a way to watch some of the highlights of that.

How about Beach Volleyball?

Yikes!

The NYT story on the badminton fiasco makes the badminton federation look pretty bad. ...

Acknowledging that you're making a serious point about strategy and competition, and forgive me if you're a badminton enthusiast, but that's a funny line. :tup:lol:

What's next, an international scandal in bicycling?

... oh wait.