2012 Olympics

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow

USA Basketball won by 83 points today

And the 156 points broke the old Olympic record by almost 20 points. Carmelo basically had carte blanche to just keep heaving 3s and the Nigerians kind of gave up on playing defense after the first half too(and started chucking up 3s themselves). Any night you score 29/46 from beyond the arc is gonna be pretty good.

It's almost unfair to have an NBA All-Star team playing against countries that don't even really have professional basketball leagues. And even if they do, they don't have anywhere near the depth of talent.

I'd rather go back to the U.S. having non-professional basketball players on the U.S. team.

It's almost unfair to have an NBA All-Star team playing against countries that don't even really have professional basketball leagues. And even if they do, they don't have anywhere near the depth of talent.

I'd rather go back to the U.S. having non-professional basketball players on the U.S. team.

It is unfair but what's fair about other countries' pros beating up on our amateurs? Nobody crying about that..

Nigeria has a total of 3 players born in the country; most born in USA....2 with NBA experience...most came up USA college teams. 1st time in the Olyimpics for them and they already won one game.

Other major medal contenders loaded with NBA roster talent, Spain, Argentina, France, why another Spain/USA final has been predicted before the tournament.

Wow

USA Basketball won by 83 points today

And the 156 points broke the old Olympic record by almost 20 points. Carmelo basically had carte blanche to just keep heaving 3s and the Nigerians kind of gave up on playing defense after the first half too(and started chucking up 3s themselves). Any night you score 29/46 from beyond the arc is gonna be pretty good.

Also Carmelo's point total was the most ever for a USA player in a single game.

Previous Olympic men's record for 3's in a game 13 :D

I've got a problem with foreign NBA players competing vs USA Basketball in the Olympics

If they started disallowing that, then they might as well cut basketball as an Olympic sport. Frankly, they probably ought to anyway. And for that matter tennis. My feeling is that for major sports and/or sports where there are already plenty of international competitions, like tennis, golf or cricket have no business being in the Olympics. (Yes, I realize not all of them are Olympic sports.) It's basically double-dipping, esp. when the tennis stars are all pros and no "amateur" would stand a chance.

As a former distance runner (well, recreational marathoner), I'm looking forward to the men's 10,000 meters, just starting now.

Apart from the standard Ethiopians and Kenyans, GBR and USA have some potential medalists for a change...

[Added] Holy crap, Farah (GBR) and Rupp (USA) 1-2, followed by 2 Ethiopians. The great Bekele finished outside the medals in 4th. Mo is going to be a hero!

Edited by T.D.

As a former distance runner (well, recreational marathoner), I'm looking forward to the men's 10,000 meters, just starting now.

Apart from the standard Ethiopians and Kenyans, GBR and USA have some potential medalists for a change...

[Added] Holy crap, Farah (GBR) and Rupp (USA) 1-2, followed by 2 Ethiopians. The great Bekele finished outside the medals in 4th. Mo is going to be a hero!

Holy crap indeed! I more or less watched Rupp grow up around here. He was such a little spindly thing even 2 years ago. I honestly used to wonder why the hell he bothered as it seemed no way he'd beat any of the East Africans. Then I noticed this year he looked like a man and not a kid. I guess between aging and running a few thousand miles that'll do it. What a great race! An all-time Olympic favorite moment. Only the 3rd US male to medal in that race.

I grimaced a little when after finishing Rupp puked a little, Farah is rolling on the ground in front of the bent over Rupp and almost rolled into it. :lol:

Mo sure is a hero here right now. Alongside Ennis and Rutherford, GB enjoying a good day in the stadium rather than velodrome.

Greatest ever night of GB athletics ! :party:

I grimaced a little when after finishing Rupp puked a little, Farah is rolling on the ground in front of the bent over Rupp and almost rolled into it. :lol:

Yeah, noticed that too. One of the pitfals of HD. :lol:

View from my cell

The Tower?

I am glad that Serena won the gold, and perhaps even more excited that Serena and Venus won gold in doubles. That truly does put them in a very elite group. But not too interested beyond that, particularly in the unending Phelps coverage.

Was watching some commercial in the elevator about how elite athletes give until there's nothing left and then they give some more. Ok, fine. It is impressive. But shit, I'm in the office working hard on the weekend, giving 120% (and not getting paid overtime) because I want this project to come together. (For some other project almost 10 years back, I came in 7 days a week for 3 months straight.) No one's going to do a commercial about that. I'd just like to keep things in a bit of perspective here.

I am glad that Serena won the gold, and perhaps even more excited that Serena and Venus won gold in doubles. That truly does put them in a very elite group. But not too interested beyond that, particularly in the unending Phelps coverage.

Was watching some commercial in the elevator about how elite athletes give until there's nothing left and then they give some more. Ok, fine. It is impressive. But shit, I'm in the office working hard on the weekend, giving 120% (and not getting paid overtime) because I want this project to come together. (For some other project almost 10 years back, I came in 7 days a week for 3 months straight.) No one's going to do a commercial about that. I'd just like to keep things in a bit of perspective here.

well, there was a commercial about "greatness" not just being confined to these Olympic contenders or winners but also attributable to anyone who is striving for their best in whatever field. so that's obviously the greatness category you're in, ejp626!!