2012 Olympics

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

QUICK WIT

Patrick Sandusky serves as the primary spokesman for the U.S. Olympic Committee, meaning his job is to know exactly what to say.

It's a skill he put on display Saturday.

At a USOC news conference, a British journalist wanted to know why Americans feel comfortable calling their country the greatest in the world. He phrased the question like so:

"For people from here, it's a bit of a strange thing to say. We don't really talk about our countries in the way you guys do. So do you genuinely think the USA is the best country in the world?"

Sandusky immediately sprung into action, asking U.S. chef de mission Teresa Edwards to answer the question.

"Teresa, you can start answering the question from the gentleman who comes from the country with the word 'Great' in the front of the title, Great Britain," Sandusky said to much laughter.

QUICK WIT

Patrick Sandusky serves as the primary spokesman for the U.S. Olympic Committee, meaning his job is to know exactly what to say.

At a USOC news conference, a British journalist wanted to know why Americans feel comfortable calling their country the greatest in the world. He phrased the question like so:

"For people from here, it's a bit of a strange thing to say. We don't really talk about our countries in the way you guys do. So do you genuinely think the USA is the best country in the world?"

Sandusky immediately sprung into action, asking U.S. chef de mission Teresa Edwards to answer the question.

"Teresa, you can start answering the question from the gentleman who comes from the country with the word 'Great' in the front of the title, Great Britain," Sandusky said to much laughter.

Very sharp.

I'd like to think the 'Great' in 'Great Britain' is a geographical reference - though given some of our more gung-ho anthems - 'Rule Britannia' - I'm not so sure.

QUICK WIT

Very sharp.

I'd like to think the 'Great' in 'Great Britain' is a geographical reference - though given some of our more gung-ho anthems - 'Rule Britannia' - I'm not so sure.

All very puzzling. Will someone please explain to me why we're sometimes Great Britain and sometimes U.K? (I just live here.) :unsure:

Very sharp.

I immediately thought the fellow must have studied Churchill.

Will someone please explain to me why we're sometimes Great Britain and sometimes U.K? (I just live here.) :unsure:

I actually went to Wiki because I didn't think Great Britain was a country, properly speaking, but rather a geographical designation. Turns out it is a "territory of the sovereign state of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and most of the United Kingdom's territory is in Great Britain." Which, I'm sure you already were aware of all that.

Very sharp.

I immediately thought the fellow must have studied Churchill.

Will someone please explain to me why we're sometimes Great Britain and sometimes U.K? (I just live here.) :unsure:

I actually went to Wiki because I didn't think Great Britain was a country, properly speaking, but rather a geographical designation. Turns out it is a "territory of the sovereign state of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and most of the United Kingdom's territory is in Great Britain." Which, I'm sure you already were aware of all that.

So, it's "Great Britain AND Northern Ireland", is it? Does this mean runners from Belfast were excluded from "Team GB"? Brits who understand this, please reply. :rolleyes:

I think it goes:

British Isles - the various islands off the north-west mainland of Europe (geographic)

Britain/Great Britain - England, Scotland and Wales (as united in the 1707 Act of Union, the three flags in the current Union Flag).

United Kingdom - As Great Britain + Northern Ireland (in the 1901 Act of Union that was all of Ireland but the Irish thought differently and that changed marginally in 1922 and permanently in 1949).

But I've been wrong before.

One of the great things about these games has been the success of Mo Farah. Amazing how quiet all those who grumble about the dangers of immigration have been where he's concerned. A wonderful icon of the constructive effects of having your country constantly replenished from cultures from elsewhere.

I've found the celebration of Team GB in British media boorish. Just seems rude to invite people to your country for a party then do nothing but celebrate beating them at games. Especially if most of the time you don't actually win. Total number of TV interviews with non-anglophone athletes = 0. So three cheers for the drunken host - if you can make yourself heard over his incessant self-congratulation. UK-ites will know what I mean if I say this character will next appear on your screens as the unselfconscious big-head held up for mockery on an episode of Come Dine With Me.

Another observation overheard goes something like this: "The British are begrudgingly having a wonderful time."

Or most are, anyways.

It seems like it was a wonderful event, as these things go. Highlight for me was Andy Murray. From Great Britain. And Scotland. In the United Kingdom. Which encompasses the British Isles. Heart of the old British Empire. Currently referred to as the Commonwealth.

And I was startled to learn that George Michael is alive and well. I had somehow confused him with Freddie Mercury, I think.

I also loved the 5 and 10K races won by Mo Farrah as well as the back story of his friendship with the US runner . I never thought I'd root so hard for anyone in those particular events. I also was very happy for Allyson Felix and Missy Franklin. Just a few examples why these Olympics were so compelling for me.

USA 107 - Spain 100

Best Olympic basketball match... ever!

Although I must recognize the US team is almost unbeatable (you must play over perfection against them during the 40 minutes), once again -it was even clearer in Beijing- the referees' criteria was biased towards NBA rules permissiveness with travelling and contact... and two out four Marc Gasol's personal fouls didn't actually exist!

It was hard to see Pau Gasol sitting on the bench absolutely depressed and almost coming into tears after the match... and nice to see Kobe coming to hugh him!

However, I must congratulate the US team... you're still one step further!

This generation of Spanish players, doing one of their weakest tournaments, has definitely come into legend: two silvers in Olympic games, one gold in World Championships and two golds and one silver in Eurobaskets!

God bless Pau, Navarro, Calderón, Felipe Reyes and the rest of the team, including those who have retired, like Garbajosa o Jiménez! Let's hope the second generation (Rudy, Marc, Ricky Rubio, Llull, Sergio Rodríguez...) can keep the flame alive for some time!

I witnessed the old days great moments (4th position in the 1982 Cali World Championship, silver medal in LA '84 Olympics...) but this generation is the best bunch of players we ever had... and will have!

Well, I for one will miss the Olympics. Still trying to recover from Thursday night - witnessing it in person puts a whole new perspective on the track and field events.

I didn't watch any of it but was still very affected by the spirit of the whole event and found the success of the British team very moving.

Well, I for one will miss the Olympics. Still trying to recover from Thursday night - witnessing it in person puts a whole new perspective on the track and field events.

I know what you mean. I was at the 1984 games in Los Angeles and saw this in person...

olympics-1984-carl-lewis_1070915.jpg

As someone who trains regularly I notice the very brief effect that sports events have on uptake. First week of Olympics the fast lane at the pool was mysteriously full of strangers (the regulars seemed to have taken the week off - good for me, about the only way I get to be fastest in the pool, except when I am first in). Second week, the newbies had vanished and the regulars were back. Same with running and biking, a notable sudden flurry, then back to the usual empty roads and deserted trails. It's sweet how people get inspired and reminded that they do like to swim/bike/run - I wonder if this time the effects will be more lasting.

A greater worry is the overemphasis on 'competitive' sport - various politicians were falling over themselves last week to criticise a mythical 'all must have prizes' culture in schools and coming up with knee-jerk responses to immediately go into the National Curriculum (if that still exists).

What that overlooks is how off-putting competitive sport is to the majority of kids who will never be very good. I was one of those - given a ball by the PE teacher to amuse ourselves with while those with talent got the training (or, best of all from my point of view, allowed to do cross country which involved running out of the changing rooms to the lane behind the school field and then going for an afternoon stroll down country lanes).

So much has changed since then and PE teachers try really hard to get everyone involved. But there remains a stubborn resistance to sport amongst some kids, especially teenage girls who feel embarrassed by the whole thing. Someone mocked 'Indian Dance' as being included in PE lessons but a creative approach to exercise like that is far more likely to get a broad range of kids involved.

I just worry that a government mired in an inability to bring any real changes will leap for cosmetic changes in a soft area like this and just undo the good work has been done on the ground for years.

The Olympics have shown how thrilling competitive sport can be and will inspire and involve lots of kids. But it isn't just about that.

A greater worry is the overemphasis on 'competitive' sport - various politicians were falling over themselves last week to criticise a mythical 'all must have prizes' culture in schools and coming up with knee-jerk responses to immediately go into the National Curriculum (if that still exists).

What that overlooks is how off-putting competitive sport is to the majority of kids who will never be very good. I was one of those - given a ball by the PE teacher to amuse ourselves with while those with talent got the training (or, best of all from my point of view, allowed to do cross country which involved running out of the changing rooms to the lane behind the school field and then going for an afternoon stroll down country lanes).

So much has changed since then and PE teachers try really hard to get everyone involved. But there remains a stubborn resistance to sport amongst some kids, especially teenage girls who feel embarrassed by the whole thing. Someone mocked 'Indian Dance' as being included in PE lessons but a creative approach to exercise like that is far more likely to get a broad range of kids involved.

I just worry that a government mired in an inability to bring any real changes will leap for cosmetic changes in a soft area like this and just undo the good work has been done on the ground for years.

The Olympics have shown how thrilling competitive sport can be and will inspire and involve lots of kids. But it isn't just about that.

It was Cameron that made the derogatory comments about 'Indian Dancing'. I'd like to think that whoever inserted the Indian Dancing scene into Eric Idles' performance of 'Always Look On The Bright Side of Life' had Cameron's comment in mind.

Well sport also makes a lot of money for a lot of people. It ticks all the boxes for a consumer and celebrity driven culture. The arguments going on in Australia, that seem to mirror the discourse in the UK, claim more money poured into the different disciplines results in the best coaches, which then translates to the best results. Some Australian sporting insiders were saying that the Chinese results reflect them basically 'buying' the best coaches available. Other insiders suggested that the Chinese attitude to training and respect for the coaches and opportunity also has a lot to do with it. I think sport will always reflect the mainstream values, and once kids get to puberty, they pretty much begin to see where they want to be (or where they're going to be ostracised), peer group wise or individually. I knew at a certain age, the values and mindset of sporty people wasn't a very interesting one. That's an Australian perspective though. And I was surrounded by a Working Class culture. It might have been different for Middle Class kids. It also seemed to me the kids that went on to a life more informed by the Humanities, weren't overly blessed with a sporty peer group.

Edited by freelancer

It also seemed to me the kids that went on to a life more informed by the Humanities, weren't overly blessed with a sporty peer group.

Yes, in the 1950s when I was in the sixth form (aged 16-18) the split was between jazzers and rugger buggers.

Anyway, thank goodness this orgy of nationalism is now over!

Edited by BillF

Here's a different way of ranking - relative population per medal.

Figures go Gold Silver Bronze Total Population in Millions and in bold proportion of of population to each medal.

18 Jamaica 4 4 4 12 3 250,000

15 New Zealand 6 2 5 13 4 307,692

9 Hungary 8 4 5 17 9 529,412

10 Australia 7 16 12 35 23 657,143

16 Cuba 5 3 6 14 11 785,714

13 Netherlands 6 6 8 20 17 850,000

3 Great Britain & N. Ireland 29 17 19 65 62 953,846

12 Kazakhstan 7 1 5 13 17 1,307,692

4 Russian Federation 24 26 32 82 143 1,743,902

5 South Korea 13 8 7 28 50 1,785,714

6 Germany 11 19 14 44 82 1,863,636

7 France 11 11 12 34 65 1,911,765

8 Italy 8 9 11 28 60 2,142,857

14 Ukraine 6 5 9 20 46 2,300,000

1 United States 46 29 29 104 314 3,019,231

11 Japan 7 14 17 38 128 3,368,421

17 Iran 4 5 3 12 75 6,250,000

2 China 38 27 23 88 1347 15,306,818

Hope I got my maths right!

Be interesting to see a list relating medals to national wealth.

Edited by A Lark Ascending