A Contemporary Tribute

In an essay about jazz on TV in Dan Morgenstern's "Living with Jazz," he mentions a program called "A Contemporary Tribute" that ran in the wake of Robert Kennedy's death that was a jazz-based memoriam. It was apparently 2-1/2 hours long and featured performances by Joe Williams, MJQ (alone and with CBS Orchestra), ThadJones/Mel Lewis band, Horace Silver's quintet, Woody Herman band, Bill Evans with his trio but also solo and with studio orchestra, Johnny Hodges with Duke Ellington and bassist Jeff Castelman. Singers Felicia Sanders and Amanda Ambrose were also part of the show.

The background, producers, etc. is recounted on page 650 of the book and Morgenstern ends the two paragraph summary by noting: "I do not know if a tape of this marvelous show survives." I found a reference to the show here with production specifics, which suggests it does exist in the Paley archive: http://www.paleycenter.org/collection/item/?q=robert+kennedy&p=1&item=T:56401

Has anybody seen a copy of this? Do any of the veterans here remember actually seeing the show live?

Edited by Mark Stryker

I saw this at what used to be called the Museum of Television and Radio-now named for Paley, as you mention. It's actually A Contemporary Memorial. It was in 2 parts at their library. It is astounding the emotion that was expressed by every performer-a much needed catharsis at a horrible time of division and assasinations of our leaders that jazz royalty rose to (and, typically, got meager promotion). They got past their own depression and did some righteous healing. Host John J. O'Connor said it all when he somberly entreatied 'Horace (Silver), can you please give us some Peace?' (Horace's front line was Randy Brecker/Fathead Newman). Other great moments: Ellington with just a trio of a young bassist and Harry Carney, Bill Evans w/string orchestra, Brookmeyer looking fat and ruddy-faced with drink conducting his St. Louis Blues chart w/Thad-Mel. Grady Tate had a group w/Richard Wyands. This really needs DVD availability. It's essential and shows how healing great music is.

Guess I goofed a bit. It's Norman J. O'Connor. He was a sort of media savvy John Gensel. He had his own jazz TV show w/performances and panels. And I don't know why I remember Carney, not Hodges w/Duke. I know it was a trio and the bassist was young and white. I have no clue how hd hooked up with Duke. I do remember O'Connor's poetry readings, but only now reading the program notes. The music was so overwhelming.

Guess I goofed a bit. It's Norman J. O'Connor. He was a sort of media savvy John Gensel. He had his own jazz TV show w/performances and panels. And I don't know why I remember Carney, not Hodges w/Duke. I know it was a trio and the bassist was young and white. I have no clue how hd hooked up with Duke. I do remember O'Connor's poetry readings, but only now reading the program notes. The music was so overwhelming.

Bassist probably was Jeff Castleman.

http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2008/03/jeff-castleman-bass-player-and-lone-survivor

Maybe it was Benny. I'm going on memory of a video I saw twice in the last decade-and my memory has dulled with age. I remembered Carney when it was Hodges. I do remember thinking it looked like Fathead. I've also never heard Maupin other than with the Headhunters, save for a one-time listen to Lee Morgan at the Lighthouse from around the period of the Memorial. I couldn't pick him out of a police line-up. Sorry I couldn't help.

• 3 years later...