Chris Marker 1921-2012

From today's The Washington Post

Marker died in Paris on Sunday. He had turned 91 the same day.

His entry in Wikipedia... An impressive career!

I once asked a mutual friend if Marker could make me a copy of the music Barney Wilen recorded for his classic 'La Jetée' and also 'Si J'Avais Quatre Dromadaires'. Marker could not refuse her anything but failed to deliver (no explanation!). Instead I got a 12-tune compilation CDR from Marker with music by Bill Evans, one of his favorite musician.

From today's The Washington Post

Marker died in Paris on Sunday. He had turned 91 the same day.

His entry in Wikipedia... An impressive career!

I once asked a mutual friend if Marker could make me a copy of the music Barney Wilen recorded for his classic 'La Jetée' and also 'Si J'Avais Quatre Dromadaires'. Marker could not refuse her anything but failed to deliver (no explanation!). Instead I got a 12-tune compilation CDR from Marker with music by Bill Evans, one of his favorite musician.

sad to lose such a deep thinker/artist. La Jetee is of course a masterpiece and very a soulful intricate film. but i'm still dealing w/ A Grin Without A Cat. that thing is mind-blowing and in some ways, more "important."

RIP Chris Marker...

Edited by thedwork

http://tinyurl.com/cnb8gya

http://www.lemonde.fr/culture/article/2012/07/30/mort-du-realisateur-chris-marker_1740096_3246.html

It is hard for me to express how much his films, and how he viewed the world, history, thought, culture, and the possibilities of cinema have affected me.

If you haven't seen a bunch of his films, set out now to view them. More than Le Jetee, his global seeking essay films and his political films are remarkable. Several are available in the US on DVD from Icarus Films, and La Jetee and Sans Soleil from Criterion.

Rest in Peace. The world will be a poorer place. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

(P.S. No jazz in La Jetee)