Jeep's box

Clunky

Given the worries over Stuff's box I was considering Johnny Hodges later verve box from Mosaic , given it's provenance it too might suddenly expire.

I have some of the material "Side to Side" and the "Blues a Plenty " session (from the Webster 2-offer CD). These are both fine disc but suggest that the results might become quite formulaic if repeated over 6 CDs

. How does the Hodges set stand up , is it formulaic or just plain fun spread across 6 CDs.

any thoughts

Might the Roach set also disappear suddenly?!?

Bad perspectives, I'd say! Very un-cool!

Adrian, while I do not YET have the Hodges, just one small remark: that's one of the sets were they made some mistake: the "Soul of" 2CD has two alternate takes of which people at Mosaic were not aware when they compiled the Hodges set, and they are missing. Oh, you'll have to keep that disc anyway, because of the Edison date, but nevertheless...

ubu

Among the first Mosaic sets I bought....and its one of my favorites. Great music as expected, and beautiful remastering job by Malcom Addey. Why doesn't this guy do more work for Blue Note reissues? I think the Randy Weston is the best sounding of the Mosaic Selects, and if I'm correct its the only one that Addey was involved with.

I was surprised to see this set in HMV at 50% off during their new year sale. Needless to say I bought it and I have to say it has been a revelation to me as it has made me fully appreciate the genius of Johnny Hodges. I would recommend this very highly to anyone.

When my wife gave me this set for my birthday last year, I'd never even heard Johnny Hodges' music before. It's well worth the purchase, especially if you're into swing. The mastering is very good and there's a lot of great music in the box. Like others, I can't help but wonder how much longer it will be out there, considering the recent situation with the Stuff Smith set. Get the Hodges while you can.

I just got it for Christmas. I previously had Back To Back and Side By Side and decided I wanted more from this period. I haven't been disappointed.

I'm still in the getting familiar with it stage with a few of the discs as 6 discs is a lot of music! There's enough variation in the personnel and the size & instrumentation of the groups to keep it interesting, although I have yet to play more than 2 discs in an evening. (The couple times when I wanted to hear more Hodges I switched to Ellington.)

I think a prime consideration is that there is fair amount of music that is available nowhere else, and so if you love the sound of Johnny Hodges (and Ben Webster), you run the risk of not being able to hear it once it sells out. Well, I guess there are always imports, but the Mosaic mastering is terrific.

And it's a wonderful luxury to be able to choose amongst so many discs when you're in the mood for Johnny Hodges.

Edited by Quincy

These are both fine disc but suggest that the results might become quite formulaic if repeated over 6 CDs

The only formula, really, is that this set is centered firmly, deeply, in the blues. JH sounds so at home and happy in this format, anyway, so my guess is that some similarities that recur across the sessions are more out of love for the blues than anything else. For my $, it's a winner.

There is a certain sameness to the set, I have to admit. But it is a treasure trove! I usually only listen to a half a disc or a disc at a time. . .but that is the way it is with me with any artist. And the Hodges, and the Webster, and the Brown, and the. . . well everyone on her kicks butt and plays the blues and gets that Hodges groove and sound out there!