Shelly Manne - Checkmate

Tom 1960

MI0000766805.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I had the good fortune recently to have picked up this release from a fellow board member. It's been on my wish list for quite some time, but never pulled the trigger. Gotta say this is a real nice session. Besides Shelly, Conte Candoli is on trumpet, Richie Kamuca on tenor, Russ Freeman on piano and Chuck Berghofer on bass. It was recorded in '61. The playing by all is quite good especially Kamuca and Freeman. I've listened to this several times the past few days and really glad to have this added to the Shelly Manne collection. An underrated date, IMO. A little gem. What say others? Any love for this recording? If you haven't played it in quite some time, dig it out and post your impressions later.

Edited by Tom 1960

I saw this group (with Monty Budwig) on bass in Des Moines in the fall of '62. It was a concert in the garden of a museum. After the concert I approached Candoli and mentioned I had recently been a victim of crime and my copy of "Little Band, Big Jazz" was stolen. He said he had a box of them back at the hotel and I should stop by in an hour and he would give me one. He and Russ Freeman came down to the lobby, gave me a record and sat down for a chat. It lasted for about half an hour and really left a good impression with an 18 year old freshman. Later in my life I had opportunities to mention this to each of them but they didn't remember. I did.

MI0000766805.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I had the good fortune recently to have picked up this release from a fellow board member. ......................................................................................... An underrated date, IMO. A little gem. What say others? Any love for this recording? If you haven't played it in quite some time, dig it out and post your impressions later.

It`s my favourite Shelly Manne album, have it in mono & stereo. ( this album has a wider frequenty, as normal )

B.T.W. I like all the Contemporary albums I have a lot.

The DVD box of Checkmate has been on my camelcamelcamel list for a while. There was one day that it dipped to $20, but that copy was sold before I checked my email to take advantage of it. I believe that Eric Ambler was the show's creator.

The box currently goes for $38.01.

http://www.amazon.com/Checkmate-Complete-Series-Over-Hours/dp/B003K1NGXE?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camels-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003K1NGXE

The DVD box of Checkmate has been on my camelcamelcamel list for a while. There was one day that it dipped to $20, but that copy was sold before I checked my email to take advantage of it. I believe that Eric Ambler was the show's creator.

The box currently goes for $38.01.

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B003K1NGXE

Eric Ambler???? I never knew this, I'm going have to get the DVDs.

I take it that this consists of John Williams music from the series "Checkmate," similar to Shelly Manne's Peter Gunn albums?

TTK, I see that the program's Wikipedia page says that the music was composed by Marty Paich, Pete Rugolo, Morton Stevens, John Williams and Stanley Wilson.

That's quite a lineup for only two seasons!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkmate_%28TV_series%29

I love all the Manne albums with Freeman and Candoli, but I'm not as big a Kamuca fan as many. I prefer the recordings with Mariano and Boss Sounds, with Strozier. I'm curious about the Checkmate TV series too, being a big Ambler fan. I see on IMDB there were also TV series based on his novels Epitaph for a Spy and the Schirmer Inheritance.

I love all the Manne albums with Freeman and Candoli, but I'm not as big a Kamuca fan as many. I prefer the recordings with Mariano and Boss Sounds, with Strozier. I'm curious about the Checkmate TV series too, being a big Ambler fan. I see on IMDB there were also TV series based on his novels Epitaph for a Spy and the Schirmer Inheritance.

Thanks for the recommendations of both Checkmate and Peter Gunn which I listened to last night. Great stuff, and interesting to here the way Conte and Kamuca handle the modal tunes. I know most of the 50s Manne and his Men recordings, and have lots of time for them, but for some reason (probably the availability)don't know much of the 60s stuff. Any recommendations? Son of Gunn? Proper Time? Daktari?!