Wolgang's Vault now for pay only

GA Russell

I received an email from Wolfgang's Vault today which says in part...

As we continue to grow, we need to make another change. Concert Vault is now a members-only site. Memberships are available for less than $3.00 per month, and come with a slew of fantastic perks that make signing up a no-brainer; including an annual $24 credit at the Wolfgang's Vault store, streaming concerts at no charge, access to the descriptions of the history and background of the concert recordings, $5 downloads, higher quality streams and much more. Everyone will get a 14-day free trial to explore, so check it out and see for yourself. And if you're already a WVIP, you don't need to do anything -- your membership privileges are still there.

I just looked at it... and I can't download it either.

They just added Miles at Newport in 1967.

Unfortunately I cannot download it - there is no download function on the page

Have emailed them - wait & see (currently a WVIP member)

Anyone else been able to download this?

I record their streams into FLAC while playing with Ripcorder Audio. Works pretty well for me.

I record their streams into FLAC while playing with Ripcorder Audio. Works pretty well for me.

here's the response I got from WV

Hi Stephen,

Right now, this Miles Davis, Newport 1967 concert is only available for streaming. We are doing our best to make as much available as we can, taking into account the need to establish all proper agreements, rights and permissions from artists before doing so.

If you click on the link below, you'll see an download icon on the concerts that are available for purchase:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/miles-davis/

Thanks,

Evan

The cheek of Wolfgangs Vault - which is just a glorified bootleg organisation - in claiming a concern for ethics. It just seems like a place where 'someone' has got it together to round up as many circulating grey area recordings as possible and begin to strike some 'deals' to make it all legit. I doubt much of anything would be getting back to the estates once they add up all their time and expenses.

Edited by freelancer

The cheek of Wolfgangs Vault - which is just a glorified bootleg organisation - in claiming a concern for ethics. It just seems like a place where 'someone' has got it together to round up as many circulating grey area recordings as possible and begin to strike some 'deals' to make it all legit. I doubt much of anything would be getting back to the estates once they add up all their time and expenses.

Why don't you read up on the site first.

About Us

Agreed. I've always operated with the assumption that they are legit and the artists and their estates are getting their fair share.

Why don't you read up on the site first.

About Us

Uh oh... That's not good...

Agreed. I've always operated with the assumption that they are legit and the artists and their estates are getting their fair share.

I'm not so sure about this.....

I know of one artist personally that has a few concerts up there that has never been contacted by them.....

I'm not so sure about this.....

I know of one artist personally that has a few concerts up there that has never been contacted by them.....

I don't know how royalties work. Wouldn't WV go through ASCAP/BMI to pay royalties, rather than pay the artist directly, or is it different for dowloads that are sold, rather than streamed?

Nah. I still think they're opportunists with deep pockets. I wouldn't lose any sleep over employing 'killerjoe's' method (post#7).

This thread - on another board - has an interesting argument about the Vaults. Admittedly it was 2007ish...probably before a lot of 'fine tuning' went on.

My link

Edited by freelancer