My dog doesn't like Sun Ra or Sunny Ade

My dog (20 months) gets very grumpy when he hears Sun Ra or King Sunny Ade. I think it's the occasional whistles, steel guitar whoops and other somewhat extranaeous noises.

Will he get over it or should I try to persuade my missus to get a refund on the dog?

He likes Soul Jazz, however :D

What about your pets reactions to music?

MG

Not a pet, but a few summer's back a blackbird sat on a fence in my back garden and screeched all the way through one CD of Miles Davis's Cellar Door set. As soon as the record ended he flew away.

Maybe he was requesting 'Bye Bye Blackbird'. I hadn't the heart to tell him it was no longer in the set list.

The worms in the garden burrow a bit deeper when I play Messiaen.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

My dog (20 months) gets very grumpy when he hears Sun Ra or King Sunny Ade. I think it's the occasional whistles, steel guitar whoops and other somewhat extranaeous noises.

Every time you put on Sun Ra or Sunny Ade, give your dog a biscuit. I guarantee he'll see the error of his ways in less than a week.

Every time you put on Sun Ra or Sunny Ade, give your dog a biscuit. I guarantee he'll see the error of his ways in less than a week.

Nope; my dog's a black pug. Pugs can't be trained. If you see Cesar Milan claim lasting success with a pug, you'll know he's cheating. Pugs will behave themselves to suit themselves; and misbehave to suit themselves. You can't bribe our dog with anything. And the blacks are naughtier than the fawns.

MG

I have no idea if pugs can be trained or not but this isn't really training. Its just conditioning the treat with the music. I have to believe that the dog would in fact show up for his treat after a week or two.

Unless of course Pavlov never tried his theory on pugs.

I have no idea if pugs can be trained or not but this isn't really training. Its just conditioning the treat with the music. I have to believe that the dog would in fact show up for his treat after a week or two.

Unless of course Pavlov never tried his theory on pugs.

I don't expect he would have reported it if he had. Pugs have minds of their own. Henry's our second. And he has no choice about listening; I'm only making him listen to music when I'm looking after him if my wife's out, or if she wants lunch watching TV in peace and quiet, so he's shut in the dining room with me and the portable CD player. He generally lies down, nice and quiet, but gets irritable if the wrong music is on.

MG

Nope; my dog's a black pug. Pugs can't be trained. If you see Cesar Milan claim lasting success with a pug, you'll know he's cheating. Pugs will behave themselves to suit themselves; and misbehave to suit themselves. You can't bribe our dog with anything. And the blacks are naughtier than the fawns.

MG

Past trauma or neurological conditions can make it difficult to train individual dogs, but it isn't true that "pugs can't be trained". No offense, but the problem probably lies in your methods. 99% of effective training is teaching owners how to behave.

As to the OP's question, my two cats have never displayed obvious distaste for any of the music they've heard. With names like Max Roach and Sonny Rollins, I guess this isn't surprising. Of course, I've never subjected them to smooth jazz. I'd conduct an experiment to test this possibility, but APA guidelines for ethical research prohibit me from doing so. ^_^