I have the following albums:

The Individualism Of

Out Of The Cool

Complete Pacific Jazz

Svengali

Miles Ahead

Porgy And Bess

Sketches Of Spain

Am I missing out on any other wonderful Gil Evans arrangements? I also have the Hendrix album

but it's not high on my list. And I love the duo album Paris Blues.

Can't say enough good things about this one. Probably hard to find on CD these days, but there was a pricy Japanese issue (EmArcy UCCJ-4047) a few years ago with several really great bonus tracks (and not just alternates, there's a fantastic version of Billy Harper's "Cry of Hunger" that's only in the bonus material). A few Youtube clips below, enjoy!

gil-evans-masabumi-kikuchi-532383.jpg

Worth tracking down.

515fpFra-pL._SS500_.jpg

In both CD & LP versions, as they are substantially different experiences.

Also, the two duet albums w/Konitz, Heroes & Anti-Heroes.

Also very worthwhile is the new ArtistShare release of "recently discovered" previously unrecorded Gil arrangements. The detail of the recording, and therefore the ability to hear the details of the arrangements, is about as anything you'll ever hear.

And for a different view:

Gil-Evans-The-British-Orche-490070.jpg

Arranged By, Piano [Electric, Acoustic] – Gil Evans; Bass [Electric] – Mo Foster; Guitar [Electric] – Ray Russell; Keyboards – John Taylor (2); Saxophone [Alto, Soprano], Flute – Chris Hunter, Stan Sulzmann; Saxophone [baritone, Soprano], Clarinet [bass], Synthesizer – John Surman; Saxophone [Tenor, Soprano] – Don Weller; Trombone – Malcolm Griffiths, Rick Taylor (5); Trumpet – Guy Barker, Henry Lowther, Miles Evans

The version of Little Wing is wonderful.

Gil Evans plus 10. (I think that's what it's called.)

I thought this one was relatively dull (though it has its moments). Definitely not on the level of Out of the Cool or Individualism.

Gil Evans & Ten is one of my favourite Gil Evans albums, along with Out of the Cool and the two Pacific Jazz albums, New Bottle, Old Wine and Great Jazz Standards.

Edited by J.A.W.

Also consider getting the Miles/Gil box set. Loads of extra material.

Absolutely essential imo! The box includes some intriguing, previously unreleased material with the Miles quintet, most notably the Falling Water suite. The box set is outrageously cheap as well.

Another essential Gil Evans record is much more oblique...the Claude Thornhill Orchestra's "The Real Birth Of The Cool", which features some of Gil's earliest and yet finest arranging.

Arranged By, Piano [Electric, Acoustic] – Gil Evans; Bass [Electric] – Mo Foster; Guitar [Electric] – Ray Russell; Keyboards – John Taylor (2); Saxophone [Alto, Soprano], Flute – Chris Hunter, Stan Sulzmann; Saxophone [baritone, Soprano], Clarinet [bass], Synthesizer – John Surman; Saxophone [Tenor, Soprano] – Don Weller; Trombone – Malcolm Griffiths, Rick Taylor (5); Trumpet – Guy Barker, Henry Lowther, Miles Evans

The version of Little Wing is wonderful.

That was the 'core' of the Evans band I saw at Ronnie Scotts. Certainly Barker, Weller, Ray Russell and Chris Hunter were there. Frank Ricotti was added on vibes and Ian Carr included in the trumpet section, I think. Remember the 'Lttle Wing'. Gil played quite a bit on Fender-Rhodes.

Edited by sidewinder