Von Freeman RIP

david weiss

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was 1996 or 1997 in the winter time and I was attending the Housewares show in Chicago and maybe that was the year I was able to see Eight Bold Souls at Hot House but there was one guy besides Fred Anderson that I was determined to see live when I visited Chicago and that was Von Freeman...

well I think it was at The Apartment and I know the pianist was John Young and I know they had a singer for later in the set.

I remember him warming up and not hearing too much and *then* when they started I remember the SOUND, the SOUND of a guy who plays the damn tenor saxophone his whole life and nothing ever mattered more than playing the tenor saxophone.

We know it when we hear it.

and then all I remember is that the first tune was a mid tempo bles thing and I remember the SOUND live when he started to HIT it and I remember he blew my mind for about 15 minutes straight up and that's all I remember as knew I heard a giant of the tenor saxophone and I was blessed to be within 10 feet of the bell of his horn.

as Uli will surely post on the other board if he is up to it.....

RIP Sir!

Chris Sheridan (liners to "Young and Foolish") also has 1922 as year of birth. Not that I knew, not that it really matters ...

I brought it up because I expect and trust serious newspapers like the Chicago Tribune to give the correct info. They said he was 88, while my sources say 89.

Edited by J.A.W.