Von Freeman RIP

david weiss

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad news. According to the Chicago Tribune he was 88, but as far as I know he was born in October 1922, so I guess he was 89.

Not to quibble...he would have turned 89 come October.

So he was born in 1923, not 1922. Thanks for the info.

He was born in 1922, see: http://arts.gov/honors/jazz/jmCMS/master.php?id=2012_02&type=bio

See Chuck's post, #26.

Will never forget the first time I heard him in person, in the late' 60s or early '70s, not too long (I think) after he came back to town from his time with the Treniers in Las Vegas. He was playing a small social affair (I think it was someone's wedding anniversary, perhaps a friend of his) in a nice room above a South Side restaurant, with Don Patterson, guitarist Sam Thomas, and Wilbur Campbell. I knew Von's Atlantic record, but what I heard that afternoon was almost beyond belief in its power and mastery -- and ease, too. I remember telling Joe Segal about what I'd heard the next time I ran into him, suggesting that he bring Von into the Showcase. I swear Joe said something like "Von Freeman? Never heard of him." Probably he was just putting me on.

First encountered Von at one of Joe Segal's Charlie Parker Memorial concerts. He was dueling with Dexter Gordon. Next was another Segal show with Von, Jug, Mobley and a very uncomfortable Hank Crawford.

Started a weekly encounter at the Enterprise Lounge on 75th St in 1975 and this went on for about 4 years. During that time we made our first recordings.

Remember him wiping the floor with Sonny Stitt one night on Lincoln Avenue.

Met his mama - lovely lady - at the house they shared with George.

Tons of memories through the years. Hard to put them all together in some context.

Last saw him a few months ago.

Thank you Vonski.

First encountered Von at one of Joe Segal's Charlie Parker Memorial concerts. He was dueling with Dexter Gordon. Next was another Segal show with Von, Jug, Mobley and a very uncomfortable Hank Crawford.

Tricky memory for sure. I was at the Parker Memorial Concerts (in Aug. 1970) and heard Von there, so the South Side party gig I was at must have taken place sometime before then, because I'd certainly never heard Von in person prior to that afternoon. I remember talking over how stunned we both were by what we had heard with Harriet Choice, who was there with me that day. Maybe I transposed the Atlantic album backwards in time because his playing on the album, when I heard it, was not at the level I recalled from that party. Von didn't get onto record at his best until Chuck did the glorious deed.

RIP to Von, whose music is great so, so many ways. It's weird--I got copies of Have No Fear and Serenade & Blues purely on the strength of the Nessa catalog's AACM offerings, and I was shocked by how accessible Von's music felt to me--accessible, yes, in the way that high quality standards music can be/often is less alienating than experimental offerings, but also by virtue of how fluid and virtuosically improvisational Von was (and, in document, remains).

There's something simultaneously primitive, futuristic, and transcendent about Von's sound. As a "free jazz guy," I got it instantly--the timbral flexibility, the pitch play (more "out," really, than even most so-called free tenors), the phrase construction... I'd say that Von's back catalog stands as a monument to the validity of inside playing as a perpetually relevant form--assuming, of course, the player has the intelligence, wit, power, and invention of someone as dedicated as Mr. Freeman. Eternal thanks on my end for that...

Lois from JazzCorner writes:

Chico Freeman just called me and asked me to convey this message from him and his brother Mark:

"To our beloved Vonsky who influenced so many and was such an innovator, please remember him and don't be sad, but celebrate his life and that he lived his life to the fullest."

There will be a tribute to be announced soon.

Let me add my condolences to Chuck, Von's family, and to those who knew him. Though I have a few of his albums, I won't pretend to know him well, and haven't traveled to Chicago often enough to have ever seen him perform in person. But that obit/bio that opened this thread was an incredibly moving and informative read for me. It said more to me in a few pages of what jazz is and was all about - and about its often unheralded artists - than the totality of Ken Burns' "Jazz." R.I.P.