Von Freeman RIP

david weiss

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate to play a week with Von at the Vanguard in January, 1994. What an education!

I remember playing "I'm a Fool to Want You."

It was so cold in the club that week, IIRC we could see our breath on the stage.

Following Griffin's set at the 1988 Chicago Jazz Fest we got to play a couple of tunes with Griff, Eddie Harris, Clifford Jordan, Von and E. Parker McDougal. Sun Ra wouldn't allow John Gilmore to join us.

One of the true originals of this music. When you're that original you're kind of invincible - nobody can fuck with you. RIP

Edited by Michael Weiss

Hadn't posted in this thread yet, partially because I didn't know what to say. Here's a memory, which I hesitated to share yesterday because I thought it might sound like I was name-dropping. Rest assured that nobody involved remembers me at all.

One year back in the '80s, my trio, The Bazooka Ants, was booked at the Atlanta Jazz Festival on, for some reason, Chicago Day. We were the only local band on the bill that day - we opened the show, followed by Douglas Ewart's Clarinet Choir (with Anthony Braxton), the Art Ensemble, and Von Freeman. It was a great opportunity for me to meet and talk to some of my heroes - Braxton, Roscoe Mitchell, Bowie. Mr. Freeman's set was the first time I had heard him live. I was standing near Mitchell and Ewart, and at one point, while Von was tearing up some Rhythm changes, Mitchell shook his head, laughed, and said, "Now that's a real saxophone player." Yep.

Thanks for that post Jeff.

Here is a slightly edited message I sent to a good friend asking me for some history:

During my first stay in Chicago (1966-68) Von was nowhere in sight – probably in Vegas with Milt Trenier.

My first encounter was the Charlie Parker Memorial in 1970 with Dexter, Red Rodney, Roy Haynes and Chicagoans Jodie and Rufus. I remember wondering who the fuck the other guy was. They did afternoon and evening shows. During the break I joined a group for dinner at a Mexican restaurant up the street. I found myself eating and drinking with Dexter, Red, Roy, Dan Morganstern and Ira Gitler – none of the locals made the dinner.

Within a year or so I heard Von at another of Joe Segal’s joints with Jug, Mobley and a really intimidated Hank Crawford (lime double knit suit).

I still didn’t have a real handle on what Von was and the Atlantic album didn’t help.

I moved back to Chicago in the spring of ‘75 and Von had a regular Monday night gig on 75th street at a bar called the Enterprise lounge with John Young on Rhodes, David Shipp on bass and Charles Walton on drums. I probably only missed about 10 mondays over the next 5 years. My attendance there was due to Terry Martin’s encouraging letters when I still lived in the Boston area. Terry still has hundreds of cassettes recorded at the Enterprise. About 2 years ago Von told me he'd never forget the "3 musketeers", Terry, me and John Litweiler at the first table.

Before the Enterprise, Von had the same deal at a bar called Betty Lou’s and afterwards the New Apartment.

I am sure he had a real jazz gig like this all his life – not really “lounge-y”, just playing.

The Have No Fear session was meant to be a recreation of the Enterprise scene with no re-takes and a better drummer – even had a studio audience and sort of a mini bar.

I think something like 85% of his life was playing “hardcore”.

Back in the day Von loaned me some early recordings and he sounded like Pres and some a bit later when he played alto and sounded like Bird. When he went back to tenor he sounded like Von. I understand the same journey was made by Johnny Griffin and that might explain the surface similarities.

Nothing better than a Monday night on 75th street, Von holding forth on stage and “miss Chink” delivering a tray of $2 Old Styles.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Hadn't posted in this thread yet, partially because I didn't know what to say. Here's a memory, which I hesitated to share yesterday because I thought it might sound like I was name-dropping. Rest assured that nobody involved remembers me at all.

One year back in the '80s, my trio, The Bazooka Ants, was booked at the Atlanta Jazz Festival on, for some reason, Chicago Day. We were the only local band on the bill that day - we opened the show, followed by Douglas Ewart's Clarinet Choir (with Anthony Braxton), the Art Ensemble, and Von Freeman. It was a great opportunity for me to meet and talk to some of my heroes - Braxton, Roscoe Mitchell, Bowie. Mr. Freeman's set was the first time I had heard him live. I was standing near Mitchell and Ewart, and at one point, while Von was tearing up some Rhythm changes, Mitchell shook his head, laughed, and said, "Now that's a real saxophone player." Yep.

Thanks for waiting a day to share..right now I'm laughing and crying at the same time in reaction...yesterday I don't know that I would've been able to laugh nearly as much.

That's a beautiful story. For real.

Yes, sir. If you thought it was worthwhile, I'm glad I posted it. I just checked the interwebs - the year was 1990, and Johnny Griffin was the headliner. I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure, for some reason.

The only thing better than a $2 Old Style, is a $1 Old Style, but that's a story for another day.

Yes, sir. If you thought it was worthwhile, I'm glad I posted it. I just checked the interwebs - the year was 1990, and Johnny Griffin was the headliner. I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure, for some reason.

IIRC before or after we played, Von and Clifford Jordan played together.

Edited by Michael Weiss

IIRC before or after we played, Von and Clifford Jordan played together.

Wondered if you were on that gig.

Thanks to all for their stories and the music posted. Von Freeman is one of those cats I never got around to checking out.

I remember many years ago seeing one of his cds at Tower and I almost bought it but didn't for some reason. After reading and hearing everything in this thread I now know that was a big mistake. I have some catching up to do. I've made a list from that newspaper article that I'll use to find me some Vonski. As sad as anyone's passing is, he sounded like he lived a full and beautiful life and that's the best any of us can shoot for.

Rest easy Vonski.