Kenny G

Chuck Nessa

"My husband and I are on two ends of the spectrum when it comes to Kenny G. I personally think he's fantastic! I can't get enough of his relaxing smooth music! But my husband...he's not a fan to say the least. But this album is the happy middle!! Many of the songs my husband loves so he can enjoy right along with me!

I put this album on my iPod and played it in the car yesterday.... all 4 of my children were completely silent and relaxed the entire 45 minute trip!! Is it a miracle in MP3 form!? I think so!!! Any mother knows quiet kids in the car is nothing short of amazing!!

Thank you Kenny for bring my family together! hahahaha

All kidding aside this is a fantastic album! Each song is better than the next. Very soothing and romantic. Great to play during dinner, while enjoying a bubble bath, or even a romantic evening. I rated it a strong 5 stars!"

Re. the husband's opinion of Kenny, and the stunned silence of her children - should we interpret 'happy middle' as 'the straw that broke the camel's back?

• 2 years later...

I just noticed this clown plays real jazz venues. The Blue Note. October 29th through November 1st. $45 or $75 reservation. Christ!

That's because the Blue Note is not a real jazz venue in NYC. They have other styles of music as well. In fact, it is the worst club in the entire New York City area, and this not just my subjective opinion. One time in November 2010, they advertised that James Moody and his Quintet was playing the following week. Moody was very ill with his cancer. I thought if he is there I have to go. I called and asked if James Moody really is playing and I was told yes, so I made reservations. That night he wasn't there. It was a tribute to him. So many in the club were angry. The poster in the window of the club even said James Moody Quintet. Lies. Eric Alexander took the place of Moody. Eric Alexander is real fine so I didn't mind.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Don't blame the performer.  In my conversations with him , I can't recall one where he drew links between his music and mainstream jazz or claimed to be a jazz performer*.  He plays where he's invited (and wants to play).  Many "mostly jazz" venues on that list.  Heck, Yoshi's in Oakland used to be mostly jazz.  Now it's Kenny G, Najee, Ohio Players.  They present what sells. 

* That said, some of his "pairings" with Louis Armstrong and others are in questionable taste.