Question re Amazon UK and shipping

GA Russell

I have never ordered from Amazon UK before, but I am thinking about placing an order now.

Most items I purchase from Amazon US have Free Supersaver Shipping. I consider that when I compare Amazon's prices to those of their Marketplace Sellers. For example, I will expect a Marketplace Seller to have a CD price $3.00 lower than the Amazon price because with the Marketplace Seller i will have to spend an additional $2.98 on shipping.

Now Amazon UK has its own Free Supersaver Shipping, but that is apparently only for shipments made to the UK.

So I am wondering...Is the shipping fee for Amazon UK products comparable to that of their Marketplace Sellers? If so, there would be no need from my point of view for the Marketplace Seller to beat Amazon on price; nor would there be any need for me to load my Amazon shopping cart up until I reached a threshold number.

Do I have that right?

Would I save any money by having one large Amazon UK order rather than a number of small Marketplace Seller orders?

Edited by GA Russell

I have never ordered from Amazon UK before, but I am thinking about placing an order now.

Most items I purchase from Amazon US have Free Supersaver Shipping. I consider that when I compare Amazon's prices to those of their Marketplace Sellers. For example, I will expect a Marketplace Seller to have a CD price $3.00 lower than the Amazon price because with the Marketplace Seller i will have to spend an additional $2.98 on shipping.

Now Amazon UK has its own Free Supersaver Shipping, but that is apparently only for shipments made to the UK.

So I am wondering...Is the shipping fee for Amazon UK products comparable to that of their Marketplace Sellers? If so, there would be no need from my point of view for the Marketplace Seller to beat Amazon on price; nor would there be any need for me to load my Amazon shopping cart up until I reached a threshold number.

Do I have that right?

Would I save any money by having one large Amazon UK order rather than a number of small Marketplace Seller orders?

I probably am missing some of your points. Basically if you are not in the UK or Europe, there is no point trying to get to the magic number (about 25 GBP). However, Amazon.co.uk does combine shipping costs, so unless the Marketplace seller's price is well below the Amazon.co.uk price, you are much better off going with Amazon. Also, I've noticed that it is somewhat rare for the Marketplace sellers to even offer to ship outside of Europe. Finally, if your mailing address is US or Canada, Amazon.co.uk will knock off the VAT, so the the total is a bit lower. So I almost always buy direct from Amazon.co.uk (assuming it can't be found at Amazon.com or Amazon.ca).

I just placed an order with Amazon UK. Here's the bad news.

I ordered from a Marketplace Seller a dvd listed at 9.99 GBP. The shipping was 3.0x, so the total was about 13.00 GBP.

I used Amazon's currency converter, and I was charged $21.28.

Do you think that Amazon UK knows that I am in the US when I browse, and lists all of their prices to me without the VAT, so that there would be no reduction?

Do you think that if I ordered a number of things, the percentage of the bill devoted to shipping would be much less?

I ordered from a Marketplace Seller a dvd listed at 9.99 GBP. The shipping was 3.0x, so the total was about 13.00 GBP.

Do you think that Amazon UK knows that I am in the US when I browse, and lists all of their prices to me without the VAT, so that there would be no reduction?

Do you think that if I ordered a number of things, the percentage of the bill devoted to shipping would be much less?

Amazon UK Marketplace sellers do NOT subtract VAT from their prices, even for non-European buyers. They do not operate within the same set of rules that "Papa" Amazon does.

And yes, based on the US shipping address that you use, any Amazon site knows that you are in the US. When you order from Amazon UK (or DE or FR) proper, VAT is automatically subtracted out from the price listed on the website.

For example, if you order an item listed at 10 GBP, your price (as long as your shipping address falls outside of the European Union) would show up as 10/1.2 = 8.33 GBP. Note that VAT percentages are different on the other Amazon Euro sites.

You only get the combined shipping if you order directly from Amazon.co.uk, not the marketplace sellers.

That's good to know, Jetman and ejp. The dvd is out of print and not available from Amazon, so I had to buy from a Marketplace Seller. Too bad for me.

It's also good to know that even though Amazon knows that I am in the US, the price it is showing me includes the VAT. I gather that it will be adjusted at checkout, is that correct?

That's good to know, Jetman and ejp. The dvd is out of print and not available from Amazon, so I had to buy from a Marketplace Seller. Too bad for me.

It's also good to know that even though Amazon knows that I am in the US, the price it is showing me includes the VAT. I gather that it will be adjusted at checkout, is that correct?

Yes, the listed price will include VAT. Nearly all the time if you buy direct from Amazon.co.uk, VAT is removed at the checkout stage, so you can always cancel the transaction if something seems off. (There are some items this isn't adjusted but fairly rare.)

As mentioned elsewhere, if you have to order from Marketplace seller, they will not remove VAT.

Another thing: I see you ordered a DVD from the U.K., which is Region 2/PAL, while you're in the United States, which is Region 1/NTSC - are you sure you'll be able to play it if the DVD is not region-free?

Edited by J.A.W.

Amazon UK Marketplace sellers do NOT subtract VAT from their prices, even for non-European buyers. They do not operate within the same set of rules that "Papa" Amazon does.

And yes, based on the US shipping address that you use, any Amazon site knows that you are in the US. When you order from Amazon UK (or DE or FR) proper, VAT is automatically subtracted out from the price listed on the website.

For example, if you order an item listed at 10 GBP, your price (as long as your shipping address falls outside of the European Union) would show up as 10/1.2 = 8.33 GBP. Note that VAT percentages are different on the other Amazon Euro sites.

Marketplace sellers in the UK are considered to be selling second hand goods, even if they're in 'new' condition, and there can be no VAT on second hand goods because there is no value added in them.

MG

Marketplace sellers in the UK are considered to be selling second hand goods, even if they're in 'new' condition, and there can be no VAT on second hand goods because there is no value added in them.

MG

Not quite true. Under certain conditions VAT is payable on second-hand goods in the European Union.

Edited by J.A.W.

MG

Not quite true. Under certain conditions VAT is payable on second-hand goods in the European Union.

So where's the value added?

MG

Oops, I see you changed your post while I was replying :D

So, what conditions, Hans?

MG

MG

The fact that stuff is being traded is seen as added value; labour is invested. Not my idea, but those are the rules.

Edited by J.A.W.

MG

MG

The fact that stuff is being traded is seen as added value; labour is invested. Not my idea, but those are the rules.

I changed my post, too :)

MG

MG

MG

I changed my post, too :)

MG

The content of my posts remains the same, I only corrected a couple of errors.

Another thing: I see you ordered a DVD from the U.K., which is Region 2/PAL, while you're in the United States, which is Region 1/NTSC - are you sure you'll be able to play it if the DVD is not region-free?

Yes, Hans, I plan to get a region-free dvd player for Christmas.

Just askin' - in my experience people tend to forget about details like that :)

Here's an update:

I ordered two cd boxes totalling 17 cd's (not including 3 cd's I already have).

I ordered two dvd boxes plus some singles totalling 14 movies.

The total came to 81.05 GBP, including 9 GBP shipping.

Amazon wanted me to use their converter, which pegged the pound at $1.63. Instead, I chose to have my bank pay in pounds, and the bank charged me pegging the pound at $1.57. So that decision saved me $4.86.

Totalling the 17 cd's and the 14 dvd's, the price average (including shipping) was $4.11 per item. I think that's pretty good!

Here's an update:

I ordered two cd boxes totalling 17 cd's (not including 3 cd's I already have).

I ordered two dvd boxes plus some singles totalling 14 movies.

The total came to 81.05 GBP, including 9 GBP shipping.

Amazon wanted me to use their converter, which pegged the pound at $1.63. Instead, I chose to have my bank pay in pounds, and the bank charged me pegging the pound at $1.57. So that decision saved me $4.86.

Totalling the 17 cd's and the 14 dvd's, the price average (including shipping) was $4.11 per item. I think that's pretty good!

You forgot that your bank will charge you a fee for the privilege --- usually 3%.