Question re Amazon UK and shipping

GA Russell

Well, I didn't know the dollar amount until the bank posted it to my account online. I guess it's possible that the bank will later post a second figure for the conversion fee.

I'll let you know if it does. My primary interest is in determining if my bank's fee is less than Amazon's.

Well, I didn't know the dollar amount until the bank posted it to my account online. I guess it's possible that the bank will later post a second figure for the conversion fee.

I'll let you know if it does. My primary interest is in determining if my bank's fee is less than Amazon's.

Do the math. Using the figures you posted, it's not.

The total came to 81.05 GBP, including 9 GBP shipping.

Amazon wanted me to use their converter, which pegged the pound at $1.63. Instead, I chose to have my bank pay in pounds, and the bank charged me pegging the pound at $1.57. So that decision saved me $4.86.

I can now give a definitive answer to this question. As stated above, allowing Amazon UK to convert from pounds to dollars would have cost me $4.86.

I have been billed by my bank $2.55 for allowing it to convert.

Therefore, I saved $2.31 by allowing my bank to convert the currency. The bank charged me 2% of the purchase price.

Edited by GA Russell

The total came to 81.05 GBP, including 9 GBP shipping.

Amazon wanted me to use their converter, which pegged the pound at $1.63. Instead, I chose to have my bank pay in pounds, and the bank charged me pegging the pound at $1.57. So that decision saved me $4.86.

I can now give a definitive answer to this question. As stated above, allowing Amazon UK to convert from pounds to dollars would have cost me $4.86.

I have been billed by my bank $2.55 for allowing it to convert.

Therefore, I saved $2.31 by allowing my bank to convert the currency. The bank charged me 2% of the purchase price.

Good for you; just made it by the skin of your teeth. Might have been different had you used AMEX. And before you say that AMEX is not a bank, I'd say that you should rethink your answer!