is this the way to market 'jazz'?

LINK

"Diana Krall has collaborated with Academy Award winning costume designer, Colleen Atwood and acclaimed photographer, Mark Seliger to create a series of beautiful and striking images for Krall’s new album, “Glad Rag Doll”. They are inspired by Alfred Cheney Johnston’s pictures of the girls of the Ziegfeld Follies taken during the 1920s.

Said Krall, “If there was an era to which I could choose to go back in time, it would be the 1920s, just because of the whole wildness of it all.”"

Edited by alocispepraluger102

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LINK

"Diana Krall has collaborated with Academy Award winning costume designer, Colleen Atwood and acclaimed photographer, Mark Seliger to create a series of beautiful and striking images for Krall's new album, "Glad Rag Doll". They are inspired by Alfred Cheney Johnston's pictures of the girls of the Ziegfeld Follies taken during the 1920s.

Said Krall, "If there was an era to which I could choose to go back in time, it would be the 1920s, just because of the whole wildness of it all.""

It has been, and continues to be, a way of marketing female artists. I'm interested to see if any board members strongly object to this approach, given the fact that the "sexiest album covers" thread is currently 242 pages long, with 9,669 replies and 425,089 views.

Whether or not this is the way to market jazz is not the relevant question: More like: Is this the way to market Diana Krall?

Exactly. I've seen another shot from this session, and in neither one does she look comfortable. So to me it's coming across as awkward.

:rolleyes: what I mean is - there's no reason to believe she isn't happy with it, and as such - she looks great.

I didn't mean to be facetious. It just read funny thats all. She looks good to me too. It's her decision in the end.

I know - I realised after I typed it... I'm not an aficionado or anything :eye: :eye:

:rolleyes: what I mean is - there's no reason to believe she isn't happy with it, and as such - she looks great.

I didn't mean to be facetious. It just read funny thats all. She looks good to me too. It's her decision in the end.

I know - I realised after I typed it... I'm not an aficionado or anything :eye: :eye:

Me too. I had to look up what you meant.

Marketing jazz is a scary concept. A large number of people out there just think "music for old people" when they hear the term, many others think background music for dinner parties and restaurants. I was doing all the audio/visual for a wedding a few weeks ago and the client asked me to put on "some boring piano jazz while we eat". I played great stuff for them (Red Garland, Duke Pearson, Dave Brubeck, Ahmad Jamal) but they wouldn't have known the difference if I had used a generic production library disc instead.