Musician Credits On A Album

Matthew

I was listening to the album Weather Report recently, and on the listing for musicians in the discography, it had Don Alias & Barbara Burton as uncredited. Thinking about this, I have some questions:

1. What does a musician need to do to be credited on a record?

2. If you're credited, do you get paid?

3. What does a musician do if he wants to be credited on a album? Are there Union rules about listing musicians on a record? I know in the movie industry that writers sue production companies to get listed "on screen," do musicians take getting listed on a album with the same kind of seriousness?

No rules. Could be an oversight or a slight. Payment usually has nothing to do with credits. I said usually because I know Elvin Jones told someone if his name was on the front he wanted an extra $50.

I'm always amazed at how little musician received for their sessions, an extra $50 for Elvin Jones! How were musicians ever able to have families with that kind of money? I find it interesting how haphazard musicians were/are about credits on a album, as I said, for writers of films, "on screen" credit is a MAJOR issue, with lawsuits being common.

How were musicians ever able to have families with that kind of money?

Wives worked. Gigs were hustled. Drugs & other bad habits were avoided. Monies were handled smartly once received. Other jobs, musical and otherwise, were taken. Overhead was kept low.

And wives worked.