Unexpected Musician Sightings

Joe

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spent a nice few days with Mike Seeger at an old time music conference years ago; he had a wicked sense of humor, so we got on well.

A digression, I know, but his first album for Vanguard has just been remastered and re-issued by Ace Records...and very nice it is too! It was the first folk album I ever bought, way back in the early 60s.

Edited by Head Man

nice man, a little shy and withdrawn,

as for more sightings - I've got you all beat (this is a competition, right?).

Slugs, 1969 or -'70: Jean Genet.

sometime in the late '70s: God.

I also worked a very nice series of gigs with one of the nicest people in the biz, Walter Bishop.

I sat one nice afternoon with Frank Lowe and Julius Hemphill in Julius' bedroom, near the end of his life.

We rehearsed in my living room in New Haven with David Murray; other famous musicians who rehearsed in that living room at various times: Joe Lovano, Julius Hemphill, and Doc Cheatham (actually I recorded with Doc there) -

also, not to forget my Red Lobster lunch with Anthony Braxton, a few summers ago when he asked me if I wanted to record with him; I accepted, but, alas, nothing has yet come of it.

Edited by AllenLowe

One painful musician sighting which still hurts me years after it happened (1959):

I was walking up the Boulevard Saint-Germain when I noticed an already drunk Bud Powell pestering passerbys a few meters away. Did not hear what he was asking them but it was obviously his regular request of vin rouge.

Buttercup had told me before NEVER to offer him a drink. Bad for his health she said (one of a few good advices from her). Dexter Gordon had said the same thing.

I quickly changed path so that he could not notice me (we had met and sort-of talked several times after his arrival in Paris).

I still have regrets for not having induled and offer him a glass of wine. Would have made him happy for a few seconds (and cut a few minutes from his too short life) :(

Edited by brownie

I once had a double sighting at Kennedy Airport in NYC. I went to meet someone there, and I see this guy with hair going straight up, like he stuck his finger in an electrical outlet! It was Don King. A few minutes later, while waiting for my friend I saw Jimmy Knepper and I helped him find the right gate for his flight.

Another one "on record," in the spirit of my original post...

Then-members of Yes Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman assisting Lou Reed on his first solo LP.

1301920834_6699eae6c521fe77cc044994b8d_prev.png

I'd have to go back and listen carefully to note which tracks the proggers appear on, but, IIRC, they do more than make cameos.

I've always considered Raphe Malik's one post on the board as an "unexpected musician sighting".

Original post can be found here.

As I recall, there was some critical discussion of his albums as a leader, and he took the time to respond.

Raphe Malik's post is a reminder (to me, at least) that there are people and lives behind the names of musicians that I sometimes criticize.

Wynton appearing with Santana on a well circulated 1981 Live Under the Sky show (Wynton with electric keyboards!)

Pat Metheny with Steely Dan at a club in NY in the 90's....... not unusual but unexpected in that Pat played with them

Chick Corea with the Foo Fighters

Paul Dunmall in Johnny Guitar Watson's horn section

Braxton always makes me feel better about my wildly unsophisticated taste in food.

also, not to forget my Red Lobster lunch with Anthony Braxton, a few summers ago when he asked me if I wanted to record with him; I accepted, but, alas, nothing has yet come of it.

If Anthony invites you to Red Lobster, that means he likes you!

I saw Ludwig Van Beethoven in a beerkellar in Vienna about five years back. He was muttering darkly about 'scheiße mp3s' and the fall in his royalties caused by downloading.

And once at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival I spotted a clearly distraught Gustav Holst throwing his hands in the air outside the Budweiser tent. Clearly no folk songs to collect that day.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I saw Ludwig Van Beethoven in a beerkellar in Vienna about five years back. He was muttering darkly about 'scheiße mp3s' and the fall in his royalties caused by downloading.

Brings to mind the beginning of Leonard Feather's 1977 sleeve note to Supersax's Chasin' the Bird:

"It was 1977 and Charlie Parker was just a few months shy of his 57th birthday when he came back to visit us. After greeting a few friends from his early days, men all older than he - Earl Hines, Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk, Budd Johnson - Bird sought out the younger men who had helped to carry on his tradition: Sonny Stitt, Sonny Criss, Phil Woods. He brought them greetings from Cannonball and from Oliver Nelson, thanked them for keeping the faith, and sat in with them in an all night jam session at Storyville.

The next few months were memorable for Parker. Belatedly, he got to visit Japan for the first time, made his maiden voyages to the Newport, Monterey and Nice Festivals. He dropped in at Dick Gibson's jazz party in Colorado and broke it up. For many of us, though, the most momentous event of all was his visit to Donte's, where Bird sat in with Supersax. In Med Flory he found a kindred soul: both were Virgos, born just six years and two days apart. The sidemen, most of them products like Bird of the 1920s, were now in the prime of life and dedicated to the perpetuation of a music their distinguished visitor had fashioned.

Finally Eddie Harris walked in, carrying his new invention, the electronic saxophone that can play up to five notes at once. With Bird self-harmonized on Harris' borrowed horn and Supersax running feverishly through "Shaw Nuff" and "Chasin' the Bird", the night became a miraculous sonic bubble, due to burst in delirium at any moment."

• 2 weeks later...

I shared a table at the Caravan of Dreams with Prime Time (Ornette was around at the club but not sitting with us), watching Paquito D'Rivera. Denardo said they might sit in with Paquito, but it didn't happen.

Having gone to North Texas State and having also played in a band that played at Caravan of Dreams often, there were a lot of Ornette Coleman sightings as he would just come down there to hang out sometimes even when he wasn't gigging there. He opened the place as you know and also had a big hand in the bookings in the club the first couple of years. One night, my band was playing there and we were at the end of the tune and doing one of those group imrov after the head, fading out out sort of things and we saw Ornette walk into the club. I started playing the theme to Dancing in Your Head and the sax players picked up on it. Not sure if Ornette did or not.......

Actually this thread unblocked a memory long forgotten.....

My first year at North Texas State I was dating a very nice girl from Texas who was a big rock-n-roll fan. She took me to see Ian Hunter of Mott the Hoople fame. It was OK but I got bored and walked to the back of the club with the plan to go outside and get some air. Leaning against the wall right by the exit was Frank Zappa. He had no concert in the area that I knew about so it was a bit surprising. We chatted a little, nice enough guy......never asked him what the fuck he was doing in Dallas and at a Ian Hunter gig.

In the mid-80's I went to what was advertised as Sun Ra with a 100-piece orchestra at some old Lower East Side ballroom. I can't vouch for the exact number of musicians, but there were a ton - Clifford Jarvis was on one set of drums. After the show, my female friend and I went into the balcony area to explore the space, and voila - there's Mr. Ra himself sitting in one of the open rooms. We chatted with him for awhile, and during the conversation one of his dancers came in and rubbed oil on his feet.

• 1 month later...