bird-prez birthday marathon WKCR

August 27-29: Lester Young (b. August 27, 1909; d. March 15, 1959) and Charlie Parker (b. August 29, 1920; d. March 12, 1955) --- we preempt August 28 as well, playing Lester Young until noon, when we switch to Charlie Parker.

the good news: I'll be back in the Apple just in time! The bad news: I don't have a radio-which leads to...the good news: I won't have to endure a certain double-vowel named, uh, 'nudnick' (;

August 27-29: Lester Young (b. August 27, 1909; d. March 15, 1959) and Charlie Parker (b. August 29, 1920; d. March 12, 1955) --- we preempt August 28 as well, playing Lester Young until noon, when we switch to Charlie Parker.

the good news: I'll be back in the Apple just in time! The bad news: I don't have a radio-which leads to...the good news: I won't have to endure a certain double-vowel named, uh, 'nudnick' (;

they are the same every year, anyway. you wouldn't hear anything you, or i, haven't heard before, several hundred times. my fav times are after midnight to 7am. there's much less banter and much more music. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I miss the Charlie Parker Festivals in Tompkins Square Park. They still have it in Harlem-but it's not the same. Over the years they had many greats before most died off. I used to record it. Once they had a group with Charles McPherson, Hank Jones, Ray Brown, and I'm pretty sure it was Max Roach. Guess they couldn't get anyone good! Charles cracked me up, introducing Lover Man saying 'We'd like to slow things down....with a discussion of Marx and Engels'! On another one Phil Woods's group backed Kim Parker, who he helped raise w/Chan. Some of the groups were lame, though. I remember thinking 'it's downhill from here' when they had my friend Tardo Hammer-IMO one of the finest pianists and specializing in bebop-and wasted his abilities as background for a stupid poem. Still, it was a no-miss event for years-esp. at these prices...

I miss the Charlie Parker Festivals in Tompkins Square Park. They still have it in Harlem-but it's not the same. Over the years they had many greats before most died off. I used to record it. Once they had a group with Charles McPherson, Hank Jones, Ray Brown, and I'm pretty sure it was Max Roach. Guess they couldn't get anyone good! Charles cracked me up, introducing Lover Man saying 'We'd like to slow things down....with a discussion of Marx and Engels'! On another one Phil Woods's group backed Kim Parker, who he helped raise w/Chan. Some of the groups were lame, though. I remember thinking 'it's downhill from here' when they had my friend Tardo Hammer-IMO one of the finest pianists and specializing in bebop-and wasted his abilities as background for a stupid poem. Still, it was a no-miss event for years-esp. at these prices...

TARDO IS A BEAUTIFUL PLAYER.

Maybe someone can answer this question. I am listening to the Prez and Bird broadcast. At one point yesterday WKCR played Lester Young live from the Savoy Ballroom in NYC. It was broadcasted to Los Angles. Now how did the radio transmission make it to the west cost of the US? Were these radio broadcasts sent over shortwave? I know AM didn’t have that much of a range to make it 3000 miles. Anyone know?

Maybe someone can answer this question. I am listening to the Prez and Bird broadcast. At one point yesterday WKCR played Lester Young live from the Savoy Ballroom in NYC. It was broadcasted to Los Angles. Now how did the radio transmission make it to the west cost of the US? Were these radio broadcasts sent over shortwave? I know AM didn’t have that much of a range to make it 3000 miles. Anyone know?

HBJ, coast to coast networks were in operation as early as 1927.

1924 - John Joseph Carty of the Bell Telephone System spoke in Chicago, IL. His speech was carried across the nation on the first coast-to-coast radio hookup. An estimated 50-million people heard the speech.

HBJ, coast to coast networks were in operation as early as 1927.

1924 - John Joseph Carty of the Bell Telephone System spoke in Chicago, IL. His speech was carried across the nation on the first coast-to-coast radio hookup. An estimated 50-million people heard the speech.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...

The 2015 edition starts up in a few hours.

Beginning Thursday, August 27, WKCR will have a four-day festival dedicated to the music of tenor saxophonist Lester "Prez" Young (b. August 27, 1909; d. March 15, 1959), and alto saxophonist Charlie "Bird" Parker (b. August 29, 1920; d. March 12, 1955). The 27th marks Prez's birthday, and the 29th, Bird's. On Friday, August 28th we will play both Prez and Bird interchangeably throughout the day.  In addition, we are extending the broadcast through 6am on Sunday, the 30th, thereby preempting Saturday Night at the Opera and dedicating the normally scheduled Jazz 'Til Dawn program to the music of Charlie Parker.