Mono playback problem

jeffcrom

I'm hoping that someone can help me - I don't know what's causing this problem, and obviously don't have any idea how to fix it.

A little over a year ago I bought a Grado M+ mono cartridge to play my mono records with. I have two headshells, and can switch them out and adjust the tracking weight in about 30 seconds. Having the mono cart has greatly enhanced my enjoyment when it comes to spinning mono records - most of the time.

But I have some records - about a dozen - that don't track well with the mono cartridge at all. Particularly near the outside of the record, the cartridge will shake and skip grooves. The problem is worse during softer passages. The same records track just fine with my stereo cartridge. Increasing the tracking weight helps some, but on some records does not eliminate the problem.

I can't find any helpful information about this problem on the web. Any ideas about what's causing this and what I can do about it?

Jeff, I've never used a Grado mono cartridge, but have used some of their stereo cartridges and have had this issue. Do a search for "Grado dance" and see what you find.

The issue apparently has to do with the lightweight mass of the Grado headshell. There are attachment pieces that can be purchased that add mass to a headshell. Obviously, if you use one of these, you have to recalibrate to where "zero" is. I ended up taping a penny to top of my headshell and recalibrated. Not the best solution aesthetically, but it did the trick.

What is the problem with using a stereo needle to play a mono LP?

The short answer is that mono playback of a mono LP improves the signal-to-noise ratio. You can also accomplish this by hitting the mono button on the amp, if you have one. Folks seem to be divided as to whether a mono cartridge is substantially different from hitting the mono button.

And to me, an even bigger advantage to true mono playback is that it centers surface noise so that it is less intrusive. When you're playing an old LP that's in less than pristine condition, you don't have pops and crackles coming at you from the left and right channels.

TTK, thanks for the info on the Grado Dance - that seems to be the problem. Although I'm not using a Grado headshell, my Grado cartridge is over a gram lighter than my Ortofon stereo cart. Unfortunately, none of the possible solutions I came across did any good - even your penny! I'm probably going to get a new mono cartridge. In the meantime, I'll just play those problem records with the stereo cartridge.

Although I'm not using a Grado headshell, my Grado cartridge is over a gram lighter than my Ortofon stereo cart.

Sorry, I meant "Grado cartridge," not "Grado headshell." It may be worth investing in one of those attachments that I mentioned, unless there are other affordable mono cartridges. Last time I checked, most of them seemed to be more expensive.

Also, if you don't have a mono button on your amp, you can always buy the mono patch cords from Radio Shack and connect them between your turntable and amp. Not as convenient as a mono button but no more work than switching headshells.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

The short answer is that mono playback of a mono LP improves the signal-to-noise ratio. You can also accomplish this by hitting the mono button on the amp, if you have one. Folks seem to be divided as to whether a mono cartridge is substantially different from hitting the mono button.

Mono and Stereo grooves are cut differently and need stylusses of different shapes. The differently cut stylus reading the information differently in the mono grooves is what reduces noise the most.

I switch between a Grado Blue and a Grado Mono cartridge on my Thorens turntable - I happened to have two headshells - but have to adjust tracking force due to a weight difference between these cartridges.

Although I'm not using a Grado headshell, my Grado cartridge is over a gram lighter than my Ortofon stereo cart.

Sorry, I meant "Grado cartridge," not "Grado headshell." It may be worth investing in one of those attachments that I mentioned, unless there are other affordable mono cartridges. Last time I checked, most of them seemed to be more expensive.

Also, if you don't have a mono button on your amp, you can always buy the mono patch cords from Radio Shack and connect them between your turntable and amp. Not as convenient as a mono button but no more work than switching headshells.

No, I don't have a mono button, and with my stereo cabinet, changing cords would be a hassle. And like I say, I've got the headshell change and weight adjustment down to 30 seconds.

I certainly don't need a thousand-dollar cartridge with my middle-of-the-road setup, but I don't mind spending a little more than I did on the dancing Grado. I'm thnking about an AT Mono3.

Mono and Stereo grooves are cut differently and need stylusses of different shapes...

Mike, this is true only for mono records dating from certain years. Experts may chime in, but I believe at some point in the late 1950s grooves were standardized for both mono and stereo records, allowing for one stylus.

This gets complicated with the issue of mono cartridges. The pricier mono cartridges use a stylus that is made for the older mono grooves. The less expensive ones, like the grado, use a conventional stylus and simply wire it for mono. It is no different than hitting the mono button.

This is my understanding, at least. Others may weigh in.

Experts may chime in, but I believe at some point in the late 1950s grooves were standardized for both mono and stereo records, allowing for one stylus.

I'm no expert, but you could play mono records with a stereo "needle" always, but until the late 1960s, stereo records required a stereo needle so as not to get rurnt.

Experts may chime in, but I believe at some point in the late 1950s grooves were standardized for both mono and stereo records, allowing for one stylus.

I'm no expert, but you could play mono records with a stereo "needle" always, but until the late 1960s, stereo records required a stereo needle so as not to get rurnt.

That is true, but still, there was a change in mono grooves at some point to make mono records more compatible with stereo styluses.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I use my phonograph with a stereo needle to make CDRs of mono LPs with a Sony CD recorder. I notice that the 2 channel displays on the recorder differ slightly at some times, whereas on a perfect mono recording you would expect the 2 channels to stay exactly the same. The resulting CDRs do play in mono perfectly although I do get some stereo clicks or pops. This does not bother me since I am glad to get the music of these old LPs onto a CDR, even though it may not be a pristine recording. If the clicks or pops are really bad I then use an editing program to eliminate them.

I use my phonograph with a stereo needle to make CDRs of mono LPs with a Sony CD recorder. I notice that the 2 channel displays on the recorder differ slightly at some times, whereas on a perfect mono recording you would expect the 2 channels to stay exactly the same. The resulting CDRs do play in mono perfectly although I do get some stereo clicks or pops. This does not bother me since I am glad to get the music of these old LPs onto a CDR, even though it may not be a pristine recording. If the clicks or pops are really bad I then use an editing program to eliminate them.

You would do well to introduce a Y converter into the chain to do the transfer in mono. It reduces distortion and strengthens the audio signal.

• 4 months later...