Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TimeforaTiger.jpg

TIME FOR A TIGER - Anthony Burgess. First book in his "Malayan Trilogy." Have always found Burgess interesting. Have read "A Clockwork Orange" (Kubrick's movie might very well be better than the book) and the Enderby books (due for a re-reading). Has anyone dipped into the Malayan books?

I found his autobiographical volumes, Little Wilson and Big God and You've Had your Time fascinating. Of course, the fact that he was from Manchester was of special interest to me - he had the "look" of people from round here. Saw him once arriving in a limo with his exotic Italian wife for a book signing.

TimeforaTiger.jpg

TIME FOR A TIGER - Anthony Burgess. First book in his "Malayan Trilogy." Have always found Burgess interesting. Have read "A Clockwork Orange" (Kubrick's movie might very well be better than the book) and the Enderby books (due for a re-reading). Has anyone dipped into the Malayan books?

I found his autobiographical volumes, Little Wilson and Big God and You've Had your Time fascinating. Of course, the fact that he was from Manchester was of special interest to me - he had the "look" of people from round here. Saw him once arriving in a limo with his exotic Italian wife for a book signing.

I'm always amazed by people like Burgess, who seem to live enough for several lives, and nothing humdrum about it. Yes, a most interesting life. The Burgess Society headquarters and museum are located in Manchester; might be an interesting place to spend an afternoon.

TimeforaTiger.jpg

Oh yes, read those over twenty years ago. I liked 'em.

TimeforaTiger.jpg

I'm always amazed by people like Burgess, who seem to live enough for several lives, and nothing humdrum about it. Yes, a most interesting life. The Burgess Society headquarters and museum are located in Manchester; might be an interesting place to spend an afternoon.

Must look in someday!

Well, I finished Anthony Burgess' Malayan Trilogy: Time for a Tiger, The Enemy in the Blanket, and Beds in the East. I found it quite interesting and sufficiently entertaining. The books likely had a topical interest at the time of publication, at which time the British were ceding control of their southeast Asian possessions, but is still relevant now as Burgess expends a good deal of attention on Moslem culture. The novels are filled with a sort of mordant humor, always a bit mocking in tone. Burgess' love of wordplay and vocabulary is already evident. Within a short span of pages, I noted the following words: hypnopaedia, crepuscular, rhotacigmus, omphalic, ingurgitation, exopthalmic. It's not all like that, but a reader is likely to trip over one of these every handful of pages or so.

A segue to Joseph Conrad's southeast Asian fiction would probably make sense, but I'll stick with Burgess for a while. Just starting:

3368515316_9137b7266a.jpg

THE DOCTOR IS SICK - Anthony Burgess

No, it's one of the latest (the first though in internal chronology) of a series of novels about "Quarry," a Viet Nam vet turned professional hitman that Collins has written. Quite nice escapist fun to read, for me at least, I've read all the novels previous to this I believe.

Edited by jazzbo

Since you bring up Connie Willis, has she written anything that doesn't involve time travel? I have To Say Nothing of the Dog and Doomsday Book, but both are time travel stories, and I loathe time travel stories. I just gave up this week and moved them off of the "to be read" shelf.