Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ohio and New Hampshire are in play for the Dems this year, but Indiana, sadly, never is. Indiana is almost always the first state the networks call--"The polls are now closed, and Indiana has gone for (fill in the GOP candidate)." In 1992 they announced, "The polls are closed, and Indiana is too close to call." That's when my friends & I knew that Clinton had it in the bag. ;)

Now reading Franklin Folsom's DAYS OF ANGER, DAYS OF HOPE: A MEMOIR OF THE LEAGUE OF AMERICAN WRITERS, 1937-1942.

1634337.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Now reading--and totally engrossed in--John le Carre's TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY. (Also coming out on DVD very, very soon.) I'll definitely be forging on to the rest of the Smiley trilogy after this.

Ah, I envy you this experience. The series is terrific, too, of course.

LeCarre's first big book--name escapes--is one that's worth looking up, too. I didn't like it the first few times I tried, but then when I did get over the hump I really found it to be affecting as little else in the genre is.

The movie of that is alright, too.

--eric

Ghost, the Smiley trilogy is superb. The next two, 'The Honourable Schoolboy' and 'Smiley's People' are just as good as 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy'. I think they were once all published together in one volume with the title 'The Quest For Karla'.