Now reading...

I have read nearly all of Waugh's novels, most of them many years ago, and number him among my very favorite writers. (Spark doesn't make that grade!) I've also read a biography of Waugh, but don't recall who wrote it. It was a single volume, so couldn't have been Stannard. Handful of Dust is my favorite Waugh novel.

Back in the day I too read all of his books ... not sure I would enjoy them as much now.

Anyway one book about him that is definitely worth reading is "The Letters of Evelyn War" edited by Mark Amory. It shows him as funny (particulary in his letters to Nancy Mitford) witty and suprisingly kind when writing to his family. Used copies probably going cheap on Amazon......

Be sure to read "The Loved One" even though it's later Waugh.

Agree.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bet nobody can read only one Turgenev novel.

To date I've only read Fathers and Children, though I have read A Month in the Country (a play) as well.

I can recommend Rudin and Sportsman's Sketches. Turgenev probably has the best style of any of the Russian writers of the period, which does make him eminently readable, as Mr Litweiler points out--it does for me. However, as for weight, that might be a different argument.

I can recommend Rudin and Sportsman's Sketches. Turgenev probably has the best style of any of the Russian writers of the period, which does make him eminently readable, as Mr Litweiler points out--it does for me. However, as for weight, that might be a different argument.

I second your recommendations and would add On The Eve and Fathers and Sons as well. Re weight, in my limited experience he is as insightful as Chekhov.

I second your recommendations and would add On The Eve and Fathers and Sons as well. Re weight, in my limited experience he is as insightful as Chekhov.

Yes, I agree, re: recommendations and Chekov (in fact, that would make for an interesting close comparison). I was thinking his position vis-a-vis Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy.

Edited by Leeway

Just finished Louis Couperus - De Boeken der Kleine Zielen (Small Souls), and I thought it was nothing short of a masterpiece. I don't know how well known Couperus is outside of the Netherlands, but if you like classic literature his books are always a delight to read.

3282050.jpg

And for now, I will finaly dedicate myself for the next coming weeks/months to Leo Tolstoj - Oorlog en Vrede (War and Piece). For some reason I read almost everything of Tolstoj, but I never could get myself to start with War and Piece. The book has such a monumental status ofcourse that I always wanted to make sure I started with this book in the right time (some weeks/months were I'm not too busy in the evenings, so I can dedicate substantial time to reading). These kind of books just aren't for short and fragmented reading sessions IMO, but are best valued when you can completely immerse in them.

9789028241510.jpg

Just finished Mandelbaum Gate. There's something of a travelogue to it as well as political and religious debate and I was depressingly reminded just how long established the Arab-Israeli conflict is. I particularly liked the way the book was humanized by aspects of popular literature/film: thriller plot with nail-biting climax, espionage, erotic interest.

And for now, I will finaly dedicate myself for the next coming weeks/months to Leo Tolstoj - Oorlog en Vrede (War and Piece). For some reason I read almost everything of Tolstoj, but I never could get myself to start with War and Piece. The book has such a monumental status ofcourse that I always wanted to make sure I started with this book in the right time (some weeks/months were I'm not too busy in the evenings, so I can dedicate substantial time to reading). These kind of books just aren't for short and fragmented reading sessions IMO, but are best valued when you can completely immerse in them.

9789028241510.jpg

I found if you can commit to 100 pages a day (or more), the reading experience is better, and the impact of the work is not diffused. Are you reading in original, Dutch or English? Is there an acclaimed Dutch translation? I only know the English ones. I studied Russian for a year in college, and my wife is a native speaker of Russian, but I'm not able to read in the original, alas. I have enough Russian to help me assess phrasing and idiomatic expression for their "Russian-ess." Various translations evoke some hot partisanship; they all have pluses and minuses. I prefer Rosemary Edmonds 2nd translation, in the one volume Penguin edition, if for no other reason that it is a convenient edition to hold and read. Plus I think her translation best splits the difference between English and Russian prose styles.

I've been mulling over an attempt at "Clarissa," reputedly the longest novel in English. Not sure I have the stamina anymore :unsure: I suppose the 100 page a day program would get me there eventually.

Just finished Mandelbaum Gate. There's something of a travelogue to it as well as political and religious debate and I was depressingly reminded just how long established the Arab-Israeli conflict is. I particularly liked the way the book was humanized by aspects of popular literature/film: thriller plot with nail-biting climax, espionage, erotic interest.

I still have to read this one. I don't recall Spark dealing with Jewish identity in any of her novels after "Mandelbaum Gate." Did she? I think there must be at least passing references, although I can't come up with any at the moment. If so, I find that discontinuity interesting.

Due to work getting really intense, I am suspending the heavy reading for a week or so. I'm midway into What Entropy Means to Me. I have to say, I wasn't digging it at all. It is sort of a fairly tedious meta-fictional riff on Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. At the halfway mark the book apparently shifts into something closer to a dark, dystopian world, somewhat akin to Brunner's The Sheep Look Up. Not quite sure where it is going, but I haven't been blown away so far.

I also recently acquired a remaindered copy of Sarah Vowell's The Wordy Shipmates. Now I had been pre-warned that Vowell is an acquired taste -- she mixes serious research with a pop sensibility. I found a few pages in that it wasn't for me. It was this exact sentence: "Of course there's a catch, Spider-Man." in the context of a discussion of one of Rev. John Cotton's sermons. I can't get with that. It is clear, I am not her audience. I skipped around a few more places in the book and found it was all of a piece. So this will get donated to the library this weekend.

Book-From-Mayflower-to-Mayberry_full_art

It would be best all the way around if work goes back to a manageable pace (and I can get back to Demons), but if not, after I wrap up Entropy, I will read one of the shorter NYRB books I've picked up lately, probably Mr. Fortune by Sylvia Warner.

9789028241510.jpg

I found if you can commit to 100 pages a day (or more), the reading experience is better, and the impact of the work is not diffused. Are you reading in original, Dutch or English? Is there an acclaimed Dutch translation? I only know the English ones. I studied Russian for a year in college, and my wife is a native speaker of Russian, but I'm not able to read in the original, alas. I have enough Russian to help me assess phrasing and idiomatic expression for their "Russian-ess." Various translations evoke some hot partisanship; they all have pluses and minuses. I prefer Rosemary Edmonds 2nd translation, in the one volume Penguin edition, if for no other reason that it is a convenient edition to hold and read. Plus I think her translation best splits the difference between English and Russian prose styles.

I'm reading a Dutch version (my knowledge of the Russian language is non-existent). The 2006 translation of Yolanda Bloemen and Marja Wiebes, which was awarded with the Martinus Nijhoffprijs (the most prestigious translation award in the Netherlands).

My general rule is that I only read novels in English, if original text is in English. Otherwise I usually get a dutch translation. Luckily we have a few very good publishers regarding classic literature, who almost always offer very decent translations.

Moving on from Spark to another mid-20th century British female writer. Excellent - I shall certainly read another Drabble.

You might recall I recently posted on Drabble's "Jerusalem the Golden." If you get a chance to read that one, I'd be interested in your critique. I have "The Waterfall" sitting about here, was going to read it after "Jerusalem," but got distracted with Muriel and with Doris Lessing. Currently doing battle with Lessing's "Four-Gated City." Almost done with that and shall post additional thoughts on it.

9789028241510.jpg

I've been mulling over an attempt at "Clarissa," reputedly the longest novel in English. Not sure I have the stamina anymore :unsure: I suppose the 100 page a day program would get me there eventually.

I named my younger daughter Clarissa, as liked the name, though not the literary character's fate :-) (Fortunately she, now 27, has always liked the name.) I confess to never having read the novel in full. On a course on the 18th century novel I was once given a week to read it! I did manage Tom Jones in the same time, though!

Moving on from Spark to another mid-20th century British female writer. Excellent - I shall certainly read another Drabble.

You might recall I recently posted on Drabble's "Jerusalem the Golden." If you get a chance to read that one, I'd be interested in your critique. I have "The Waterfall" sitting about here, was going to read it after "Jerusalem," but got distracted with Muriel and with Doris Lessing. Currently doing battle with Lessing's "Four-Gated City." Almost done with that and shall post additional thoughts on it.

Sorry to have missed your post on Jerusalem the Golden. There are now so many pages, we almost need a 20th Century English Women Novelists' thread!

America%20Over%20the%20Water%20compresse

An absolutely beautiful book. More or less polished it off in one sitting.

Mainly an account of Shirley Collins' memories of the 1959 trip she took as Alan Lomax's assistant into the American South. But every chapter alternates with a description of her life before and after that experience.

$_35.JPG

THE FOUR-GATED CITY - Doris Lessing - 1969.

I finally finished this title in the closely printed 669 pp Panther paperback edition (pictured). Not a good edition; surprising number of printer errors. I have to say it was a bit of a slog. I kept thinking it needed an editor badly. And yet I also felt that the book was following a plan laid down by Lessing. The book could have easily gone on for another 500 or 1000 pages, since Lessing's approach was to keep extending the circle of characters outward with new characters building off the old, like cell multiplication. However, easier to describe than to read at times.

Not many modern authors are as involved as Lessing in the events of their times. "Four-Gated City" is a deeply political novel: communism, capitalism, radicalism, anarchism, ecology, mental illness, sexuality, sexism, racism, media, and more. Lessing is in her element when she describes outcasts, strange children/youth, radical lifestyle, living in squatter housing. There is a humanistic foundation to all this that one respects. Lessing doesn't lack courage, and maybe that's what I was often responding to. If there is humor here, it must have been of the squinty-eyed, deeply wry variety; not obvious.

The book is really rather baffling. After reading for about 600 pp in more or less realist mode, the story is continued in a series of appendices that go deep into science fiction/utopian/dystopian territory, which in retrospect, make you question how realistic the preceding 600 pages were. There is something spongy about their reality, with the walls between reality and extra-reality being somewhat permeable.

These are my initial thoughts on the book, but I suspect that the book will continue to ferment in my mind, until I get a better sense of it. This is not my first Lessing book. I previously read "The Fifth Child," which is incisive, concise, strong and scary. I also read "The Good Terrorist," whose main character, Alice Mellings, is a lot like Martha Quest, and in many ways resembles, on a smaller scale, "The Four-Gated City."