Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished:

Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita. Nabokov’s prose is no less than brilliant here. I think Humbert Humbert must be one of the most iconic characters I have ever seen a writer create. Reading other comments on this book though, I really can’t understand some people having sympathy/empathy for Humbert. To me he was one of the “lowest” characters I ever came across in literature (and I read a lot of Dostoevsky), someone who misused his intelligence and dignified appearance only to get to his “goal” of sexually abusing a child.

And now reading:

Albert Camus – Exile and the Kingdom ( a collection of short stories which all deal with Camus’ philosophy of absurdism)

Isaiah Berlin – Russian Thinkers (a collection of essays on the Russian Intelligentsia (such as Herzen, Bakunin, Tolstoy and Belinsky) in the 19th century) 

Edited by niels

Robert Lowell: A Biography by Ian Hamilton.

61n1kkqo6PL._SL500_SX325_BO1,204,203,200

I read a Lowell biography about 10 years ago, but don't recall if this was the one. Fascinating  - and disturbing - life. Loved the bit where he, briefly imprisoned as a conscientious objector, rubbed shoulders with the boss of Murder Inc, leading to a conversation something like this: "What are you in for?" "Killing people. What are you in for?" "Not killing people." Love his poetry and Life Studies sits on my bookshelf.

I read a Lowell biography about 10 years ago, but don't recall if this was the one. Fascinating  - and disturbing - life. Loved the bit where he, briefly imprisoned as a conscientious objector, rubbed shoulders with the boss of Murder Inc, leading to a conversation something like this: "What are you in for?" "Killing people. What are you in for?" "Not killing people." Love his poetry and Life Studies sits on my bookshelf.

He did live an interesting life.  In America, once Lowell and Allen Ginsberg died, sad to say, the "public poet" disappeared from the US scene (one could also make a case for Maya Angelou), much to our loss.  With the passage of time, Lowell is becoming the 20th. Century American poet, the quality of his body of work is hard to beat, though Theodore Roethke has to be up there also.

He did live an interesting life.  In America, once Lowell and Allen Ginsberg died, sad to say, the "public poet" disappeared from the US scene (one could also make a case for Maya Angelou), much to our loss.  With the passage of time, Lowell is becoming the 20th. Century American poet, the quality of his body of work is hard to beat, though Theodore Roethke has to be up there also.

Roethke is another I read and liked, though it's many years ago now.

Just finished Irène Némirovsky's David Golder.  In some ways it is a funhouse mirror version of Silas Marner.  I thought it quite interesting.

I am struggling to get through Howard Jacobson's The Finkler Question.  I might as well push on (about 100 pages left) but he leaves me absolutely cold as a reader.  I didn't see what the big fuss was about Kalooki Nights, and I don't think very highly of The Finkler Question.  This will definitely be the last Jacobson novel I attempt.

The next up after this is Machado De Assis's Epitaph of a Small Winner, which I have never read, despite it being a fairly short book.

9780141439556.jpg

An old and still strange friend. 

Found this difficult to read - even when I had to read it at university. Didn't have that problem with Jane Eyre BTW. I like the cover illustration on that Penguin edition - something French from a British collection - Corot? Barbizon school?

9780141439556.jpg

Found this difficult to read - even when I had to read it at university. Didn't have that problem with Jane Eyre BTW. I like the cover illustration on that Penguin edition - something French from a British collection - Corot? Barbizon school?

I read it as 'light relief' in my last year at uni as finals were approaching (unbelievable as that may seem it was light relief compared with memorising the key points of Civil War era political pamphlets!).

Utterly haunted by it at the time. I'd read virtually no pre-20th C novels since school up to that point. I was so taken by it that it started me on Austin, the other Brontes, Elliot, Hardy etc over the next couple of years. Must re-read it. 

9780141439556.jpg

I read it as 'light relief' in my last year at uni as finals were approaching (unbelievable as that may seem it was light relief compared with memorising the key points of Civil War era political pamphlets!).

Utterly haunted by it at the time. I'd read virtually no pre-20th C novels since school up to that point. I was so taken by it that it started me on Austin, the other Brontes, Elliot, Hardy etc over the next couple of years. Must re-read it. 

The cover illustration is a detail from Corot's "Gust of Wind," in the Pushkin Museum in Moscow. 

I agree that WH is a tougher read than JE. I'm re-reading Jane Eyre at the moment. 

To be honest, I have to agree with the sentiments in the comments that Waterstones was just complete rubbish at selling the things, since the management and staff are wedded to the idea that paper books are the only real books.  I'd say well over 90% of my reading is in the form of tangible books, but I don't pooh-pooh the idea of reading digital books, particularly given the awesomeness of Project Gutenberg.

I just wrapped up Muriel Spark's The Informed Air, which are mini-essays on how she became a writer, her literary preoccupations (mostly Proust and T.S. Eliot) and her reflections on religion, particularly the Book of Job.  This is definitely a book that almost everyone would only flip through once, so see if your library stocks it.

Still working my way through de Assis's Epitaph of a Small Winner.

Laila Lalami - The Moor's Account

lots of good things written about this and Pullitzer and Booker prize nominations to add to the buzz. the idea of telling the story of Conquistadors from the perspective of one of their African slaves is interesting. The writing however won't flow for me. It's as if it's a translation which self-evidently it isn't. I'll persevere

Just got to the end of this 770-page tome! Liked it at first, but the larger-than-life sensationalist tone palled on me eventually. Was far more impressed by The Secret History which I read some years ago.

The_goldfinch_by_donna_tart.png

The third - and best - Franzen I've read, which as a 560-page contemporary American novel obviously invites comparison with Tartt's blockbuster. It was a relief after Tartt's verbal torrents to encounter a more measured prose style. And, unlike her, structure is all: a very complex narrative with occasionally perplexing shifts in time and voice, but all resolves eventually into a very satisfactory book. Very contemporary feel, particularly in the part played by the internet and a Snowden/Assange character. Recommended.

Franzen3.jpg

Edited by BillF

I'm just about done with Epitaph for a Small Winner.  I don't find it quite as engaging as his short stories, but it has its moments.  The general outlook on life expressed within is pretty bleak, and that is probably mostly what is troubling me.

I'm also just about done with Iris Owens' After Claude (NYRB).  I find the main character absolutely infuriating, actually a couple of notches past the annoyance I often felt at Ignatius in A Confederacy of Dunces.  I really look forward for terrible things to befall her, as it seems likely to transpire.  Actually she reminds me a bit of the "wild woman" who is just "misunderstood" also seen in Baker's Cassandra at the Wedding, but the narrator of After Claude has no redeeming qualities that I can see.  I can't wait to be through with this one.