Now reading...

6 hours ago, BillF said:

For alternative history involving a Nazi WW2 victory, I can also recommend Robert Harris' Fatherland and Len Deighton's SS-GB. 

Best alternate history novel I know is Ward Moore's "Bring the Jubilee," in which the South wins the Civil War.|

https://www.amazon.com/Bring-Jubilee-Ward-Moore/dp/143447853X

The second link contains spoilers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bring_the_Jubilee

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Enjoyed The Man in the High Castle.  Parts of the plot move at pulp speed.  The ending is sort of evocative, though still a bit anti-climatic.

Not Wanted on the Voyage is also good.  I've just hit the point where Lucifer shows up in disguise to get a spot on the Ark.

I'm also reading the Confessions of St. Augustine, but am very underwhelmed for literary and extra-literary reasons.

I finished up Findley's Not Wanted on the Voyage a while back.  It's an interesting mix of whimsical and serious moments, driven by an overwhelming urge to give Biblical patriarchs, such as Noah, a big kick up the arse.  I liked it a lot, but it's not for everyone.

Currently in the middle of Rousseau's Confessions.  Perhaps he does protest a bit too much.  The edition I am reading is nearly 600 pages!

After that, Jhumpa Lahiri's The Lowland.  I really liked The Namesake, so I hope this is at the same level.