Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wrapped up The Sound and the Fury.  Even though I read it before and knew broadly what happened, it was a challenge.  While Benjy's thoughts are completely jumbled, Quentin's (in the 2nd section) jump around nearly as much.  It is only the second half where there is a more linear narrative.

Also Camara Laye's The Radiance of the King, which in many ways is an African-version of Kafka's The Castle.  Oddly one review claims that The Radiance of the King starts off with an epigraph from Kafka, though certainly not in my edition (Vintage).  If I can borrow it from the library I'll try to get the NYRB edition to check out Toni Morrison's introduction.

Gide's The Vatican Cellars next and then Fontane.  I have to decide whether to go with the NYRB translation of Irretrievable or No Way Back (on Penguin).

Slight detour into Bowles's The Sheltering Sky.  Many, many years ago I got a few chapters in and set it aside for some reason.  I should wrap it up this afternoon and then Gide's The Vatican Cellars.

Probably Lucky Jim after that.  Hard to believe, but I never got around to this one before.

3 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Slight detour into Bowles's The Sheltering Sky.  Many, many years ago I got a few chapters in and set it aside for some reason.  I should wrap it up this afternoon and then Gide's The Vatican Cellars.

Probably Lucky Jim after that.  Hard to believe, but I never got around to this one before.

Lucky Jim! One of the very few books that's made me laugh out loud. Don't know if I would today, though, or whether 1950's humor still works. You'll let me know.

4 hours ago, BillF said:

Lucky Jim! One of the very few books that's made me laugh out loud. Don't know if I would today, though, or whether 1950's humor still works. You'll let me know.

Humor dates quickly, that's for sure.  I found J.P. Donleavy unbearable.  I have somewhat higher hopes for Amis. 

Thinking back, I did find Murdoch's Under the Net quite amusing.  I think I am slightly more in tune with her, but not with Muriel Spark, whose work I just don't enjoy.

On 8/19/2017 at 1:42 PM, alankin said:

How was this one?

Sorry for the delay.

It's pretty good. I've read a lot of science bios and "popular science" books (incl. Von Neumann and Turing bios, various works touching on the Institute for Advanced Study [IAS], Los Alamos, Teller, the ENIAC, etc) , so much of the material was not new to me. But the weaving in of the IAS and hardware/software development was new and interesting. There's also lots of good info on significant figures who have been neglected in many historical accounts, for instance Nicholas Metropolis, who decades ago co-authored the "Metropolis-Hastings algorithm" now practically ubiquitous in Bayesian statistics as "Markov Chain Monte Carlo". Worthwhile reading IMO.

[Added: Also, I've long been an admirer of Freeman Dyson, so found it pretty cool to read a book authored by his son.]

Edited by T.D.

12 hours ago, T.D. said:

Sorry for the delay.

It's pretty good. I've read a lot of science bios and "popular science" books (incl. Von Neumann and Turing bios, various works touching on the Institute for Advanced Study [IAS], Los Alamos, Teller, the ENIAC, etc) , so much of the material was not new to me. But the weaving in of the IAS and hardware/software development was new and interesting. There's also lots of good info on significant figures who have been neglected in many historical accounts, for instance Nicholas Metropolis, who decades ago co-authored the "Metropolis-Hastings algorithm" now practically ubiquitous in Bayesian statistics as "Markov Chain Monte Carlo". Worthwhile reading IMO.

[Added: Also, I've long been an admirer of Freeman Dyson, so found it pretty cool to read a book authored by his son.]

Sound interesting.  I will have to put this on my to-read list.  Thanks.

419auKU5TcL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The book shows how the extraordinarily long career of Jimmy Heath mirrors the development of jazz from a disreputable ethnic subculture involving drug abuse and prison sentences to academically esteemed subject studied by the flower of white youth and lauded by the highest in the land (White House visits, etc.) Personally very interesting as I've been listening to the music for sixty years myself.

Edited by BillF