Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finished Mitford's Love in a Cold Climate, and I'm halfway through the sequel, Don't Tell Alfred.  I'd say Mitford is a bit of an acquired taste.  It's very much like reading a novel written for the 1% (in terms of class position, not necessarily their bank accounts).

Quite a change after this -- Gaskell's North and South.

1462327.jpg

5 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I finished Mitford's Love in a Cold Climate, and I'm halfway through the sequel, Don't Tell Alfred.  I'd say Mitford is a bit of an acquired taste.  It's very much like reading a novel written for the 1% (in terms of class position, not necessarily their bank accounts).

Quite a change after this -- Gaskell's North and South.

1462327.jpg

Very much about my part of the world - though not today, of course.

Have just finished re-reading this one. He has a new novel out, which I must take a look at.

19.jpg

33 minutes ago, paul secor said:

What's your take? I've read the other four novels in the series and will probably read this one. (I didn't know it existed until you mentioned it here,)

I've read all of them too. I believe he's an underrated writer. This one seems to have all of the elements of the others.

I recently finished Chris Matthews' book on RFK.  Bobby was always a hero of mine but because of his death I've always had trouble reading anything about his campaign. It's a very good book and well written. 

IMG_0717.jpg

I've ordered Arthur Schlesinger's book, which is a classic account.  Had it years ago but will give it another try.

IMG_0719.jpg

I also finished LeCarre's Legacy of Spies last week; it's sort of a retrospective and a sequel.

IMG_0718.jpg

That has led me to re-read The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, although I couldn't find my original copy.   All the new editions of his books have introductions by LeCarre, an added bonus.

IMG_0720.jpg

I finished Gaskell's North and South.  It was an interesting depiction of a city very much like Manchester.  She is probably one of the few writers of her era not to completely demonize union members, though apparently neither she nor Dickens liked professional union organizers.  I've not read Hard Times, but I gather the caricature of Slackbridge is quite unkind.  I didn't realize that North and South and Hard Times were serialized one right after the other in Dickens's magazine Household Words.  I'll have to move Hard Times up in my reading list, though it will still be a while until I can get to it.

I've just started Zweig's The Post Office Girl.  Good so far.  The blurb on the back promises some serious action (perhaps even proto-Fight Club action), so we'll see.

3 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I finished Gaskell's North and South.  It was an interesting depiction of a city very much like Manchester.  She is probably one of the few writers of her era not to completely demonize union members, though apparently neither she nor Dickens liked professional union organizers.  I've not read Hard Times, but I gather the caricature of Slackbridge is quite unkind.  I didn't realize that North and South and Hard Times were serialized one right after the other in Dickens's magazine Household Words.  I'll have to move Hard Times up in my reading list, though it will still be a while until I can get to it.

I've just started Zweig's The Post Office Girl.  Good so far.  The blurb on the back promises some serious action (perhaps even proto-Fight Club action), so we'll see.

The Post Office Girl is like two different novels and the view is that it’s incomplete. It was found among his papers after he committed suicide. It’s not my favorite Zweig book but it’s not bad.