Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've moved things around a bit.  Still reading some of the stories in Tolstaya's White Walls but my main reading is Gaskell's Wives and Daughters.  It's essentially the story of how a middle aged doctor's second marriage impacts his daughter and step-daughter.  It's pretty slow, even for Victorian era fiction.  I like it better than Middlemarch, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

After this Toews's A Complicated Kindness.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrapped up Wives and Daughters.  Did feel padded in many places.  Overall, I preferred North and South.

In the midst of Malamud's The Assistant.  Fairly depressing.  Will probably wrap up tonight or tomorrow.

Then onto Toews's A Complicated Kindness.

56 minutes ago, BillF said:

"The White Negro" essay had quite an impact on us would-be hipsters of the era. ^_^

Yes!  My friend Phil Ford wrote about that essay at length in his book Dig.  I emailed Library of America to ask if a possible "prequel" was in the works (such as 1948-59, incorporating The Naked And The Dead, Barbary Shore, The Deer Park, and Advertisements For Myself) to the two-volume Mailer 1960s set they just published, but they replied that they can't get rights to any of his other books right now.  

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, ghost of miles said:

That recent New Yorker article about Kelley was fascinating—I had never heard of him before.

Yes. the article was fascinating, and Kelley was a very fine writer - at least that's my take after reading his first book.

More stories to go in White Walls by Tatyana Tolstaya.

Right now am focusing on shorter works.  Just finished Ethel Wilson's first novel (or really novella): Hetty Dorval.

Then Lyudmila Ulitskaya's The Funeral Party (from Brad's list of 10 Russian novels, bringing me to 5/10).

Also DeLillo's The Body Artist.

Then Pablo Vierci's The Imposters.