Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even in Our Darkness: A Story of Beauty in a Broken Life by Jack Deere. Deere is famous in the charismatic world, at one point in his life working with John Wimber, founder of the Vineyard Church movement in Anaheim, CA. Not your typical memoir that goes from "glory to glory"; well written, but one of the saddest accounts I've read. Comes from a family background where his father committed suicide, and his mother had a difficult personality. Deere marries a woman, who turns out to have serious emotional issues stemming from being sexually abuse by her father (he did not find this out until later in the marriage, after she tried to commit suicide a number of times), and to top that all off, his son committed suicide at the age of 23. Numerous times in his life, he tells us, he put himself first, and everyone else second, and comments he used "proclaiming the gospel" as an excuse to hide the damage he was doing to family and friends by his actions from himself. His account of his relationship with Wimber is heartbreaking in this regard. He writes of coming to be aware of all this, and I get a heavy sense of sadness and regret as he looks over his life. "Knowing yourself," it turns out, is not as easy as it sounds.

35553384._SR1200,630_.jpg

Edited by Matthew

Dickens' Hard Times.  Not enjoying this at all.  It is a total slog.  Gaskell's North and South, while on the same topic, is vastly better. 

Philip Roth's The Professor of Desire next.  That should definitely be more stimulating...

I finished All for Nothing and started this book

C8C9D8CA-7166-48D2-8DC2-DABDDE681E7F-XL.

A very odd book. Written during the Ceausescu regime, it is absurdist literature but a little too out there for me. I read one review saying that it’s best digested in small pieces. Not for me. 

I have picked this one up by the great crime writer Dorothy Hughes

C7EF2CA5-EEA9-4EC4-81FB-554F2DA2F007.jpeg

Edited by Brad

About halfway into Philip Roth's The Professor of Desire.  Not bad, though I preferred his Zuckerman novels. 

I'll read The Dying Animal next to close out the trilogy, then Banfield's Ancient Light. (Oops - Banville's Ancient Light)

Edited by ejp626
typo

Midway through Banville's Ancient Light.  I didn't realize until too late that it is the third book of a trilogy, though they are fairly loosely linked and I don't feel I missed too much by skipping the others.  It reminds me in just a few ways of Robertson Davies's Deptford Trilogy, though I liked that considerably more.  I don't think it is terribly likely I will read the other two.

Edited by ejp626
typo