Now reading...

Finally got across the finish line with von Rezzori's Death of My Brother Abel.  For completeness' sake, I will read the companion piece Cain when it comes out in NYRB edition this March (first time in English), but this is definitely going to be from the library...

Currently rereading (and enjoying) Mahfouz's Midaq Alley.  Will probably reread Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd after that.  (Maybe something one appreciates and even admires, more than enjoys...)

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/18/2018 at 5:58 AM, ejp626 said:

Will probably reread Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd after that.  (Maybe something one appreciates and even admires, more than enjoys...)

I didn't remember a thing about Far from the Madding Crowd (read it about 30 years ago), but I may have just been suppressing the experience.  I found this to be an unconvincing soap opera stuffed with cringe-worthy dialog.  I got halfway in, and it kept getting worse, so I bailed.

Decided on something lighter -- Didion's Play It As It Lays.  ;)

I'm a bit of a WWII history geek...mostly non-fiction, but some fiction as well.  In the latter category, I found Kristen Hannah's book "The Nightingale" to be pretty special.  It's focused on the French resistance during the Nazi occupation of France that began in 1940. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I liked it better than two other recent WWII books that moved a lot of needles, "Beneath A Scarlet Sky" and "All The Light We Cannot See". 

Edited by Dave James

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:07 AM, JSngry said:

Not begun reading yet, but it's on the nightstand, just waiting.

51qBNy%2BfesL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

Probably not much in here I either don't know about or at least have heard about, but a linear layout of how all this insanity grew and got normalized...I need this now.

Finished this earlier in the week. Now I can put names and faces to the historical "they" and the events and activities  that they were engaged in.

Only the names have changed, the game hasn't.

Recommended.

7 hours ago, Dave James said:

I'm a bit of a WWII history geek...mostly non-fiction, but some fiction as well.  In the latter category, I found Kristen Hannah's book "The Nightingale" to be pretty special.  It's focused on the French resistance during the Nazi occupation of France that began in 1940. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I liked it better than two other recent WWII books that moved a lot of needles, "Beneath A Scarlet Sky" and "All The Light We Cannot See". 

Have you read Decision at Normandy by Carlo D'Este.  That is the best book, in my opinion (and I've read a lot of WW II also) about the Normandy campaign. 

From the fictional side, focusing on the end of the War in Germany as the Russians approach is All for Nothing by Walter Kempowski.  Tremendous book. 

Currently reading:

35610CC6-8978-435F-A886-63C6039633DF-L.j

and this 

IMG_0863.JPG

Edited by Brad

3 hours ago, Brad said:

Have you read Decision at Normandy by Carlo D'Este.  That is the best book, in my opinion (and I've read a lot of WW II also) about the Normandy campaign. 

From the fictional side, focusing on the end of the War in Germany as the Russians approach is All for Nothing by Walter Kempowski.  Tremendous book. 

Currently reading:

35610CC6-8978-435F-A886-63C6039633DF-L.j

and this 

IMG_0863.JPG

Thanks for the recs.  I'll check them out.  

For a bit of a change, I read the 2018 Man Booker International Prize winner, Flights by Olga Tokarczuk.

36885304.jpg

It's certainly different. It's a very episodic novel, basically re-enacting the experience of going from one thing to another in a cabinet of curiosities.  Well over half of the entries are mini-meditations on travel as well as quite a lot on how to prepare bodies to display them after death!  Fictional pieces (with actual characters) are a smaller percentage by number, but as they are longer (3 to 30+ pages), they take up much more of the book. Occasionally, characters reappear, but usually they are there in one-off appearances.

This New Yorker piece is a fair assessment of the novel - https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/10/01/flights-a-novel-that-never-settles-down

All that said, I didn't really enjoy the novel all that much and felt overstayed its welcome at 400 pages, though there were a few passages here and there I liked.

It's been quite a long string of novel that didn't live up to the hype, so I'm hoping that I do enjoy Paul Auster's Moon Palace. 

After that is DeLillo's White Noise, which I enjoyed very much 15+ years ago.  If I find that even this doesn't live up to my memories, I think I should take a break from reading for a while and catch up on my movie-watching or something.