Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About halfway into Rabbit is Rich.  I do like this one a bit better than the first two (esp. Rabbit Redux), but I can't imagine going through this series a second time.

I've been slowly making my way through McCarthy's Birds of America.  My goal is to wrap this up by Boxing Day.

Next non-Updike book will be Krzhizhanovsky's The Letter Killers Club.

1 hour ago, kinuta said:

Read it a few months ago. A good comprehensive account.

Visited Hue last year and managed to see most of the places described in the book. Unfortunately driving rain and flooded streets curtailed our enjoyment.

An Xmas present read, so far so good.

Some of the events I recall either seeing or hearing about on the Beeb. Also vividly recall the early BBC2 evening news bulletin rebroadcasting the main US CBS Vietnam war news of the day before. A ‘WTF’ moment was what I later realised was Walter Cronkite introducing film of B-52 bomber formations over jungle, taken from above (probably from an accompanying F-4 I guess). Those sort of things as a youngster tend to stick in the memory like limpets. Reading the book, this is likely to have been one of the ‘Linebacker’ raids, possibly over the Central Highlands.

Edited by sidewinder

Silence: A User's Guide: Volume 1 -- Process by Maggie Ross.  Interesting how "mindfulness" and silence are hot topics in philosophy & spirituality now, it seems a ton of books are being released -- kind of a resistance movement against modern media, and the psychic toll they cause, that is taking place.

51TxX6vRwzL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

8 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Silence: A User's Guide: Volume 1 -- Process by Maggie Ross.  Interesting how "mindfulness" and silence are hot topics in philosophy & spirituality now, it seems a ton of books are being released -- kind of a resistance movement against modern media, and the psychic toll they cause, that is taking place.

51TxX6vRwzL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You gotta have some place that's nobody's but yours. Got to.