Now reading...

11 hours ago, kinuta said:

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'll check them out but would like to finish the Bosch series first, which is clearly going to take some time.

Since we're suggesting series, I'd like to recommend the Poke Rafferty series written by Timothy Hallinan. Start with A Nail Through The Heart & go from there.

Set in Thailand. Very well done.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Since we're suggesting series, I'd like to recommend the Poke Rafferty series written by Timothy Hallinan. Start with A Nail Through The Heart & go from there.

Set in Thailand. Very well done.

And I suggest the 10 Martin Beck books.  They're best if read in order.  

Image result for the poet michael connelly

I was going to start The Narrows but the consensus seems to be that it's best to read The Poet first.

......................................................................................................................

Just finished this. What a verbose slog. It could easily lose 100 pages,

Whenever the evildoer gets his comeuppance four chapters before the end, you know you're being set up for ' the big reveal '.

Edited by kinuta

Image result for the narrows michael connelly

I was unimpressed by The Poet but this is more immediate and focussed with much less waffle.

Unrelated question. Has anyone read Haruki Murakami's 1Q84?

If so, is it worth the daunting challenge of a thousand pages ? :)

Edited by kinuta

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

If you want to read a great 900+ page book, go back to Shantaram. Never made it to the screen. Mira Nair was supposed to direct it, but it never got done.

There's talk now of a TV series - but who knows!!

Thank you. I'm partial to anything concerning or set in India so it will make a good addition to my reading list. :)

6 minutes ago, kinuta said:

Thank you. I'm partial to anything concerning or set in India so it will make a good addition to my reading list. :)

I read the whole Raj Quartet some years ago. Pretty good, but it (close to 2,000 pages in 1-book edition) became a labor to finish and more or less permanently put me off super-long novels.

2 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I'm going to be honest, I didn't think it was worth it.  It isn't particularly challenging, but takes far too long to get where it is going and the payoff is pretty modest.

I appreciate your comments. It gives me all the more reason to hesitate before commiting 2-3 weeks to something that may not be all that satisfying.

The last Murakami I read was Wind Up Bird Chronicle which I really enjoyed.