Now reading...

Been enjoying the Archer Mayor police procedural series, set in Vermont, about Joe Gunther --  police chief in Brattleboro, later connected with the VBI (Vermont Bureau of Investigation). 

The Joe Gunther Series

“Archer Mayor’s Vermont police procedurals are the best thing going…” New York Times Book Review

Archer Mayor’s Joe Gunther detective series, 26 books in all, is one of the most enduring and critically acclaimed police procedural series being written today. For years, Archer has integrated actual police methodology with intricately detailed plot lines into novels that The New York Timeshas called “dazzling,” and Booklist has said are “among the best cop stories being written today.” Whereas many writers base their books on only interviews and scholarly research, Mayor’s novels are based on actual experience in the field. The result adds a depth, detail and veracity to his characters and their tribulations that has led The New York Times to call him “the boss man on procedures,” and the Arizona Daily Star to write, “Few deliver such well-rounded novels of such consistent high quality.”

The Joe Gunther detective series began in 1988 with Open Season, and now includes Borderlines, Scent of Evil, The Skeleton’s Knee, Fruits of the Poisonous Tree, The Dark Root, The Ragman’s Memory, Bellows Falls, The Disposable Man, Occam’s Razor, Marble Mask, Tucker Peak, The Sniper’s Wife, Gatekeeper, The Surrogate Thief, St. Albans Fire, The Second Mouse, Chat, The Catch, The Price of Malice, Red Herring, Tag Man, Paradise City, Three Can Keep A Secret and The Company She Kept.

The Los Angeles Times featured Scent of Evil in its 1992 year-end list of recommend readings and proclaimed The Skeleton’s Knee one of the best ten mystery books of the year” in 1993. That book also prompted The New York Times to call Mayor “one of the most sophisticated stylists in the genre,” and in 1997, to proclaim The Ragman’s Memory one of only eleven “Notable” mysteries of the year—an honor it repeated in 2002 with The Sniper’s Wife.

Me again: I can vouch for "Bury the Lead," "The Catch," "The Ragman's Memory," and "Borderlines."

The Joe Gunther Series

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My brother strongly recommended Herron to me. I read and enjoyed Slow Horses, mean to continue with the series, but keep forgetting. Once read a Herron non-Slough House novel (Down Cemetery Road), which was OK but less good than S. H.

I liked Joseph Heywood's Woods Cop series, set in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Series ended in 2011, don't know if Heywood is still writing.

Bill James's (Welshman, not the sabermetric guy) lengthy Harpur and Iles series is excellent, but it's best to start at the beginning and I fear those books are hard to find.

Two other long-running series I've always enjoyed are Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder books (NYC) and Loren D. Estleman's Amos Walker series (Detroit).

Edited by T.D.

3 hours ago, GA Russell said:

kinuta, my sister gave me that for my 2015 birthday.  I guess I ought to read it too!

2/3rds through and it's a fair, easy read.

Rather more plot driven than I expected but with predictable tough guy stuff too.

As of now , I'd say it's worth a look.

3 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Edited by kinuta

Wrapped up The Aeneid and Atwood's Penelopiad. 

Now for something significantly different

12851913.jpg

Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.  This is a fairly new translation (2012) that restores all the edits they were forced to make under Soviet censorship.  The original inspired Tarkovsky's Stalker.

Related image

I've been looking forward to reading this for a while.

Just finished. This is an epic account of all aspects of the film.

I thought I knew a fair amount about the background, but now realise I really hadn't a clue.

Recommended as a very fine companion work that truly expands appreciation of Kubrick's masterpiece.

Edited by kinuta

The Collected Poems of Denise Lerertov. Levertov is a new discovery for me, the first poem I read of her's was six months ago, and I fell in love with her writing from the first line . I've been strolling through this book at a very leisurely pace (about half-way done), soaking in her greatness. That is what's great about reading, there's always an unexpected discovery waiting around the bend.

51FzUMAfNWL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Late PS: Reading Levertov, who was a great friend of Robert Duncan, made me feel a pang of sadness that David Gitin is no longer with us. :(

Edited by Matthew

Decided to take the plunge and start in on Musil's The Man Without Qualities.  So far I am enjoying it (much more than Proust at any rate), though I can see there might be a point where I lose momentum, particularly in the 2nd volume which has 600+ pages of unfinished material...

13309873.jpg

On 2/18/2019 at 4:40 PM, kinuta said:

Related image

I've been looking forward to reading this for a while.

Just finished. This is an epic account of all aspects of the film.

I thought I knew a fair amount about the background, but now realise I really hadn't a clue.

Recommended as a very fine companion work that truly expands appreciation of Kubrick's masterpiece.

Picking this up for my dad as an early Father’s Day present (he took me to see the movie when it was re-released to theaters in the late 1970s) after reading a New Yorker article that drew heavily upon it. 

Staying with Smiley for now:

9780671042769-uk-300.jpg

57 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Picking this up for my dad as an early Father’s Day present (he took me to see the movie when it was re-released to theaters in the late 1970s) after reading a New Yorker article that drew heavily upon it. 

Staying with Smiley for now:

9780671042769-uk-300.jpg

Excellent.  Any thoughts of buying him the DVD set. I've had it for years and usually watch it once a year. 

On 23/02/2019 at 1:02 AM, Brad said:

Excellent.  Any thoughts of buying him the DVD set. I've had it for years and usually watch it once a year. 

Yes, the original BBC dvd's of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People are definitive and endlessly replayable.

It's a shame they never got round to doing The Honourable Schoolboy and completing the trilogy.

Just finishing up Solaris by Stanislaw Lem.

I've seen both of the films but never got round to the book.

The same themes shown in the films are present, the conundrum of dealing with something emotionally dear and seemingly real but in truth an alien conjured artifact.

The book spends much more time describing the nature of the planet, and all in all presents one of the more captivating portraits of what a totally alien lifeform might be like.

Well worth the read.

Finished. The interminable passages describing the surface conditions of the planet finally had a deadening effect, making it a slog to finish. If I had to choose from the two films and the book, I'd pick the Soderberg version.

Heretic, I know.

Image result for solaris stanislaw lem

Edited by kinuta

On 2/23/2019 at 4:46 PM, kinuta said:

Just finishing up Solaris by Stanislaw Lem....

Finished. The interminable passages describing the surface conditions of the planet finally had a deadening effect, making it a slog to finish. If I had to choose from the two films and the book, I'd pick the Soderberg version.

Heretic, I know.

I'd largely argee.  I found the book to be fairly disappointing.  If I recall, Lem felt the (original) movie was too sensationalized or that it made its points too clearly or something.  He was going for something a bit more "alienating."  If Tarkovsky had just cut down on the endless shots of rain on the grass bookending the film, I would probably lean toward his epic version.  (On the other hand, if watching at home, I can just fast-forward through them...)

You might like Roadside Picnic, which has humans trying to deal with alien artifacts left behind after a visit (but a visit where the aliens never bothered to make contact).  One of the scientists hypothesizes that the artifacts are the equivalent of trash left behind after a picnic.  It still has that vibe of humans being pointless to alien beings, but there is a bit more narrative drive in the novel.

On 2/23/2019 at 11:02 AM, Brad said:

After finishing Smiley’s People, I ordered a two-in-one set that bundles it and Tinker, Tailor together. They are the UK original BBC versions (evidently the Acorn Media releases are the edited U.S. versions), making me happy once again that I now have a multi-region DVD/Blu-Ray player.

On 2/23/2019 at 4:46 PM, kinuta said:

Yes, the original BBC dvd's of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People are definitive and endlessly replayable.

It's a shame they never got round to doing The Honourable Schoolboy and completing the trilogy.

I read somewhere that BBC skipped over The Honourable Schoolboy because of the prohibitive expenses of filming in Asia.

The concluding pages of Smiley’s People were riveting—hard for me to recall the last time I was so in the grip of a literary spell. What to read next? Well, I’m moving on to this one:

220px-JohnLeCarre_APerfectSpy.jpg

... and also now permitting myself at last to dip into a book I picked up a couple of years ago—a handy skeleton key to le Carre’s complex landscape of characters:

s-l300.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles