Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your post caught my attention. I'd assumed this was just another book about The Beatles and was prepared to leave it at that.

However, on further investigation, and especially after listening to the lengthy Youtube interview with the author, I'm now eager to read the book, all be it the regular length version.

Here's the link if you're interested.

On 4/7/2019 at 11:07 AM, ghost of miles said:

The “Extended Edition” of the first volume of Mark Lewisohn’s projected three-volume Beatles biography:

81l7LTRRGmL.jpg

Well, The Beatles won out and I went ahead and bought this one. I've been becoming more interested in The Beatles as time moves on. Besides, if I don't like it, I can always sell in on the Hoffman Forums and get my money back.;)

The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn. Good book, though a sad experience buying it today. I bought it at Half-Price books in Concord, and discovered that the store has been kicked out by the landlord, looking for a better payday from raising the rent sky-high. Why is it that book stores & record stores get treated with such contempt? Don't answer, we all know why: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :(

41nBIFB730L._SY498_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Image result for the seven deaths of evelyn hardcastle

Despite the numerous rave reviews, I gave up on this after 170 pages. I could perhaps have followed the 'plot' if I'd taken copious notes and treated it like a very difficult and perplexing examination.  I don't have the time or will to do that.

On 12/04/2019 at 2:42 AM, Matthew said:

The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn. Good book, though a sad experience buying it today. I bought it at Half-Price books in Concord, and discovered that the store has been kicked out by the landlord, looking for a better payday from raising the rent sky-high. Why is it that book stores & record stores get treated with such contempt? Don't answer, we all know why: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :(

41nBIFB730L._SY498_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Indeed. Currently there are no second hand book shops for English language books in the whole of this giant megalopolis.

I kid you not.

Edited by kinuta

On 4/13/2019 at 3:59 PM, Brad said:

IMG_3167-L.jpg

Finished this in a few days. You don’t have to be a Caro fan to love this book. A lot of great wisdom about researching and interviewing. Whets your appetite for the last book in the Johnson saga, which is still a few years away. My guess — and hope — is 2022. 

Finished up Hoban's Turtle Diary (NYRB).  Quite interesting character study of two lonely souls in London.

Just starting Baum's Grand Hotel (NYRB) and Trevor's The Boarding-House (one of his early novels).

Also, slowly working my way through second volume of Musil's The Man Without Qualities.

5 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Last month I picked up William L. Shirer's The Collapse of the Third Republic, and I'm looking forward to getting to it.
https://www.amazon.com/Collapse-Third-Republic-Inquiry-France/dp/0306805626/

Although the lengthy passages about  the French politics of the period were only of passing interest, the parts about the military campaign were quite eye opening and dispelled many of my ideas of an all powerful juggernaut sweeping everything aside. The reality was far more complex.

1 hour ago, kinuta said:

Although the lengthy passages about  the French politics of the period were only of passing interest, the parts about the military campaign were quite eye opening and dispelled many of my ideas of an all powerful juggernaut sweeping everything aside. The reality was far more complex.

Kinuta, I was taught as a boy that the Maginot Line was a great failure.  But not long ago I read that it was a great success, and that the Germans entered France where the Maginot Line did not exist.

One aspect that I know very little about is the Vichy government.  Specifically, what is it that the critics of Vichy think they should have done or not done?  I'm not aware of them having any ability to tell the Germans "No" to anything the Germans demanded.  France was a conquered country, right?

With your English background, what were you taught about that?

3 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Kinuta, I was taught as a boy that the Maginot Line was a great failure.  But not long ago I read that it was a great success, and that the Germans entered France where the Maginot Line did not exist.

One aspect that I know very little about is the Vichy government.  Specifically, what is it that the critics of Vichy think they should have done or not done?  I'm not aware of them having any ability to tell the Germans "No" to anything the Germans demanded.  France was a conquered country, right?

With your English background, what were you taught about that?

We were taught nothing. Our history lessons barely touched on the 20th century or even the 19th century.

I entered secondary school at the age of 11, in 1957, meaning that WW2 was very recent history, 12 years being the mere blink of an eye. More amazingly still, we were taught nothing of The Great War 1914-1918, the single event that transformed Europe.

Everything I know has been self taught. A French person might know more about the Vichy govt.

As far as I can see the Vichy govt. was a pure puppet of Germany and had zero credibility or independent decision making power.

The role of the Maginot line is covered in the book. It did nothing to stop the German attack as they never made a direct assault on it apart from one unsuccessful assault at the northern end of the line. No further efforts were needed as the French army was defeated in other parts of the country resulting in surrender.

Edited by kinuta

2 hours ago, kinuta said:

As far as I can see the Vichy govt. was a pure puppet of Germany and had zero credibility or independent decision making power.

There is a difference between going along and being an active participant; that's why Laval was executed and Petain sentenced to death (although the sentence was not carried out). In addition, Vichy remained in control of its colonies in North Africa and the Middle East; they fought the Allies and had to be actively subdued. 

2 hours ago, kinuta said:

We were taught nothing. Our history lessons barely touched on the 20th century or even the 19th century.

I entered secondary school at the age of 11, in 1957, meaning that WW2 was very recent history, 12 years being the mere blink of an eye. More amazingly still, we were taught nothing of The Great War 1914-1918, the single event that transformed Europe.

Everything I know has been self taught. A French person might know more about the Vichy govt.

The role of the Maginot line is covered in the book. It did nothing to stop the German attack as they never made a direct assault on it apart from one unsuccessful assault at the northern end of the line. No further efforts were needed as the French army was defeated in other parts of the country resulting in surrender.

"As far as I can see the Vichy govt. was a pure puppet of Germany and had zero credibility or independent decision making power."

Tainted as it was by links to Nazi Germany, that government was in tune with deep strains in French society, ones that still vigorously exist.