• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Just started and enjoying it so far

I haven't found it an easy read so far, but that could be me. I've had to put it down for now as I belong to a book club and I need to make some progress on this:

IMG_0963.JPG

On 2019-06-28 at 10:58 PM, ejp626 said:

The Most Heartless Town in Canada by Elaine McCluskey

A look at some outcasts from a small town in Nova Scotia.  Not entirely sure where it is going.

Probably after this The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra.

At some point I'll have to read Lincoln in the Bardo as my director gave me his copy.

The Most Heartless Town in Canada was solid.  It is about a number of things, including the power of the media and what happens to people caught up in the scandal du jour.  It's also about how it is often people that have no business being in positions of authority end up in positions of authority.

The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra is quite good.  It is the second book Marra has published on the Russian war in Chechnya.  This is actually a collection of interlinked stories, not a novel.  In a couple of places, he skates right up to the line (of being a bit too clever or cute) but he pulls it off.  I suspect this will probably end up in my top 5 books of the year.

Also rereading Carlos Fuentes' Constancia and Other Stories for Virgins.  I read it a long time ago but didn't remember anything about it.  After dipping into the book I realized that was because I simply don't like these stories (and repressed them), and I ought to just abandon it.  I was kind of 'meh' about The Old Gringo, but on the other hand, I just adored Christopher Unborn, so I guess you never know when an author will suit your tastes.  Unfortunately, there is just too much to read to give every author 2 or 3 times before just giving up on him or her.

William Faulkner: Novels 1926 - 1929: Soldiers'Pay / Mosquitoes / Flags in the Dust / The Sound and The Fury. Ever get a bug in your mind that you can't get rid of regarding a writer? I've had that bug for a couple of months, telling me that I need to read all the novels of Faulkner, in order -- Stupid bug! Anyway, I'm beginning at the beginning with Soldiers' Pay; we'll see how it goes...

41WuDAFHJmL._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

William Faulkner: Novels 1926 - 1929: Soldiers'Pay / Mosquitoes / Flags in the Dust / The Sound and The Fury. Ever get a bug in your mind that you can't get rid of regarding a writer? I've had that bug for a couple of months, telling me that I need to read all the novels of Faulkner, in order -- Stupid bug! Anyway, I'm beginning at the beginning with Soldiers' Pay; we'll see how it goes...

41WuDAFHJmL._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I tried reading the Sound and the Fury a year ago and gave up. I will have to give it a try again. 

1 hour ago, kinuta said:

I'm the first to admit I read mainly for fun and escapism these days with some non fiction thrown in for variety.

I'm loathe to tackle weighty tomes any more, although I will one day read the Caro LBJ biographies.

The Caro books are an uundertaking no doubt.  The best one is the first one. He received criticism for the second one because he  painted LBJ's Senate candidate in somewhat glowing terms and in the third one, he gives much attention to Richard Russell. Nonetheless, they are great books.  

On 11/07/2019 at 10:29 AM, Brad said:

The Caro books are an uundertaking no doubt.  The best one is the first one. He received criticism for the second one because he  painted LBJ's Senate candidate in somewhat glowing terms and in the third one, he gives much attention to Richard Russell. Nonetheless, they are great books.  

Thank you for the heads up.

Just started this, inspired by the memorable tv series.

Image result for midnight at chernobyl

So far this is a quite astonishing read, especially details of the numerous prior accidents, some near catastrophic, and including one very serious near meltdown at Chernobyl , that were all systematically covered up. 

I'm amazed, especially as we are still suffering the consequences of Fukushima.

Edited by kinuta

The one about Robert Moses is a classic. In fact, it’s assigned reading in college classes, from what I understand. 

His most recent book is Working. It’s very short but gives you a flavor of his books. It’s well worth reading. 

On 2019-06-28 at 10:58 PM, ejp626 said:

At some point I'll have to read Lincoln in the Bardo as my director gave me his copy.

Got 25 pages in, and I'm dropping this.  Obviously tastes vary, but I found this a work of staggering pretension and one which gives literary fiction a bad name.

Going to switch back to something that is much more up my alley -- Powers' Morte d'Urban.

29 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

Got 25 pages in, and I'm dropping this.  Obviously tastes vary, but I found this a work of staggering pretension and one which gives literary fiction a bad name.

Going to switch back to something that is much more up my alley -- Powers' Morte d'Urban.

I read it when it first came out and thought it was fascinating. I loved it.  Although I can understand that not every book will appeal to everyone, I think you’re being a tad harsh in your assessment.