Now reading...

Just finished 'Nico: Songs They Never Play On The Radio' by James Young. A compelling and frequently hilarious journal of the last few years of Nico's life by her keyboard player. She spent much of this time on the road with other junkies and assorted low life characters (most memorably, Dr. Demetrius, her manager). Despite living only for heroin much of the time, Nico comes across as a surprisingly sympathetic figure. As an aside, at one point she mentions being the model for the cover of the Bill Evans LP 'Moonbeams'.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jose Saramago - All the Names

(Saramago is a Nobel laureate in literature from Portugal)

That's pretty good, but I thought his novel "Blindness" was even better ... way better, I'd say.

The plot of "All the Names" seemed a little too much like he was borrowing from Kafka.

That's pretty good, but I thought his novel "Blindness" was even better ... way better, I'd say.

The plot of "All the Names" seemed a little too much like he was borrowing from Kafka.

I really liked Blindness too - and The Gospel According to Jesus Christ - so I'm persisting with Saramago. I'm not that far into All the Names, but yeah, it's pretty Kafka-esque so far. But then Blindness borrows, too - from Camus, Golding, etc....

Very enjoyable lightweight read: Terry Gibbs' autobiography 'Good Vibes, a Life In Jazz' (The Scarecrow

Press'. Had found Gibbs interview in Cadence magazine several years ago very interesting.

His book is great with quite an impressive cast of characters. Gibbs has been part of the jazz scene

since his early days in Brooklyn with friends like Tiny Kahn, Al Cohn. He has a lot of witty reminiscences

and writes a bit like he plays. His style goes in various directions but he knows how to tell a story.

Perfect ready for a sunny spring day.

Very enjoyable middleweight read 'Les Faux Monnayeurs' (The Counterfeiters) by Andre Gide which I had not

got into since my teenage days. Very witty book in beautiful French. Alfred Jarry, the author of 'Ubu Roi',

makes a chameo appearance.

Gide is brilliant when he moves around his characters and remains a master at describing friendships and

solitude.

Gide was a Nobel Prize of Literature laureate in 1947. He died in 1951.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished Penelope Lively's A House Unlocked - a personal and social history of her grandparents' country house in Somerset, England. In many ways, it was a fascinating read, recounting the social changes that occured over a period of more than seventy years. I found the chapter which recounted the evacuation of children and some adults from cities to rural areas of England during WW II was especially interesting. I hadn't realized the extent of social change that took place after these events. Lively's future husband was one of the evacuees, and his life changed dramatically. He grew up in a working class urban area, and ended up attending Oxford and becoming an academic - something that probably wouldn't have occured before the War. (Penelope and Jack Lively didn't actually meet until some years after the War - she was living with her family in Egypt during the War years.)

Penelope Lively is one of my favorite writers, and this is a very good book - I recommend it to others - but I'm actually looking forward to reading more of her fiction in the future. I feel that fiction is her forte.

Edited by paul secor

Finishing Primo Levi's "Si questo e un uomo", then maybe Semprun's "Le grand voyage" (both in german), or rather Kertesz' "Roman eines Schicksallosen". After that probably Giorgio Agamben's book on what rests of "Auschwitz".

At the same time on and off: Bela Balasz' "Ein Baedeker der Seele und andere Feuilletons", also (still) some Joseph Roth, Siegfried Kracauer etc.

ubu

Currently on the reading stack:

Worse than Watergate by John W. Dean

Bushwhacked by Molly Ivins and Lou Dubose

Bias by Bernard Goldberg

I figure another couple of weeks of this shit, and I'll be ready to tackle 100 Years of Solitude. Either the book or the lifestyle! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Jesse James: Last Rebel of the Civil War by T.J. Stiles

0375405836.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

From Publishers Weekly:

"In a lucid reexamination of one of the nation's most notorious outlaws, independent historian Stiles argues that Jesse James (1847-1882), like his fellow "bushwhackers," had a political agenda and that this made him more terrorist than bandit, and more significant than we credit. "He was," Stiles says, "a political partisan [wh0] eagerly offered himself up as a polarizing symbol of the Confederate project for postwar Missouri."