Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Launched into Mann's The Magic Mountain.  I suspect this is a novel I will admire/respect more than really enjoy, if for no other reason than I don't like reading about illness and hospital settings (though in this case it is simply a sanatorium, though one that appears exceedingly difficult to check out from -- the main character, Hans, shows up for a 3 week visit that then stretches into months, then years...). 

Apparently, this almost happened to Mann himself.  His wife was at one of these sanatoriums.  He visited for 3 weeks, and by the end the director tried to convince him he was quite ill and should check in for a long-term stay.

On 1/7/2020 at 9:13 AM, bresna said:

I just finished Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher book, "Blue Moon". Over-the-top-Rambo is pretty standard for Child's Reacher books but this one goes way, way over the top... maybe even to the moon. :)

Even though the bullets were flying and blood was spraying all over the place, I actually laughed out loud at one of the gun fights because I was picturing Weird Al the whole time.

The recent Reacher books have been borderline over the top.  It's like Child has to keep upping the ante to keep things interesting.  If you want to read the best of the bunch, I'd recommend "61 Hours".  I've heard if they do another movie, it will be based on this installment. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-01-08 at 8:09 PM, ejp626 said:

It looks like it will be Mann's Magic Mountain

At 700 pages, this really outstayed its welcome, especially section 7, which I didn't care for at all.  Somewhere around page 350 or 400 I just lost all interest in the characters, particularly the main character, Hans, whom I never warmed up to.

Probably The Good People of New York next and then back to William Maxwell: Time Will Darken It and some of the stories collected in the LOA volume.

I do have the recent translation of Qualityland by Marc-Uwe Kling on hold at the library and that will be coming up soon as well.

On 2020-01-31 at 9:34 AM, Matthew said:

Essays: Montaigne

71tQ67JGzbL.jpg

I got through a shorter selected version and thought many of them were quite interesting.  I then ordered this complete version, though it will be a while before I tackle the essays again.

I generally enjoyed The Good People of New York.  I got 100 pages from the end of Maxwell's Time Will Darken It and finally bailed.  The main character makes a couple of horrible decisions, almost entirely because he wants people to think well of him (and he's a pushover).  That would be bad enough, but when his wife and close friend try to dissuade him from this path, and he just ignores them...  I am no longer going to read fiction about morons or near-morons (and probably not about weak-willed pushovers either).  Life's too short.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:12 AM, Jim Duckworth said:

61c8IU1Dj4L._SX389_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I read some of this decades ago by accident.  I've been searching for an affordable copy and now there is a new and affordable edition.

Jim, are you aware of this? Szukalski is now the subject of the critically acclaimed 2018 Netflix documentary Struggle: The Life and Lost Art of Szukalski directed by Irek Dobrowolski 

1 hour ago, Marzz said:

Just finished reading The Tempest from this new hernia inducing 'book'. It's a facsimile of Shakespeare's first folio (Norton). Definitely didn't need any more Shakespeare, but my wife knew I'd love it anyway and bought it for me for xmas! 

Norton-Facsimile-Shakespeare-First-Folio

Love the look of the book! I've always had trouble reading a facsimile of the first folio, I'm impressed you can make it through without any headaches!

7 hours ago, Marzz said:

Just finished reading The Tempest from this new hernia inducing 'book'. It's a facsimile of Shakespeare's first folio (Norton). Definitely didn't need any more Shakespeare, but my wife knew I'd love it anyway and bought it for me for xmas! 

Norton-Facsimile-Shakespeare-First-Folio

Nice. Wish I’d got the time but - well, the day job...

Just now, mjazzg said:

I remember being very taken with that one but can't remember much detail.

It’s a story about an important Falange prisoner in Barcelona who in the final days of the War is to be executed, he runs away, a Republican soldier spares his life and he manages to survive in the forest, with the aid of a few “forest friends,” three Republican soldiers who have deserted. I’m about halfway through the book. 

4 hours ago, Brad said:

It’s a story about an important Falange prisoner in Barcelona who in the final days of the War is to be executed, he runs away, a Republican soldier spares his life and he manages to survive in the forest, with the aid of a few “forest friends,” three Republican soldiers who have deserted. I’m about halfway through the book. 

Thanks Brad. I nearly wrote in my first response the words "Falange" and "forest" but wasn't sure it was that one. It was. Different cover in the UK didn't help. I do remember it being a good read.

Hope you enjoy the rest of it

On 2/4/2020 at 4:45 PM, Matthew said:

Love the look of the book! I've always had trouble reading a facsimile of the first folio, I'm impressed you can make it through without any headaches!

Oh definitely a few headaches for me, especially with the original pronunciation! I've grown up with the 'modern' versions, so i translate as i read along. I'd love to see a production with original pronunciation some day.

Edited by Marzz