• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Hilary Mantel - The Mirror and the Light

Don't let it deter you from trying another at some point.

Maybe 'Sula', 'The Bluest Eye' or 'Beloved'

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

It probably won’t. 

I think her single best novel is Song of Solomon, though in my case (as I am rereading most of her novels in an irregular fashion), I want to end on a high note, so I will finish with Song of Solomon.

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

I think her single best novel is Song of Solomon, though in my case (as I am rereading most of her novels in an irregular fashion), I want to end on a high note, so I will finish with Song of Solomon.

Yes of course, 'Song of Solomon'

Here’s an article about books that, as the author puts it, “evoke a sense of place so strong that they make me forget, momentarily, that it’s March and I’m inside. Some are new, some old, some longstanding favorites, and some I’ll be reading for the first time. May they take you somewhere, too.”

In This Moment of Solitude, Books Can Be Our Passports

On 3/20/2020 at 8:30 AM, sidewinder said:

Bill Birch’s ‘Keeper of the Flame’ book about modern jazz in Manchester 1946-72. Should keep me going until Xmas !

91OrPJWlQGL.jpg

I notice the cover photo of Griffin at Club 43. If he only made one visit, then I was there! He also appeared at the Peel Hotel in Leeds, a pub with a jazz policy that hosted everyone from Tubby Hayes to Jimmy Witherspoon. On both occasions John (as he seemed to be called) chatted nicely at the bar during the intermission. My bassist friend Danny Padmore asked him what it was like playing with NHOP. "Man, he's great!" was the reply.

4 hours ago, BillF said:

I notice the cover photo of Griffin at Club 43. If he only made one visit, then I was there! He also appeared at the Peel Hotel in Leeds, a pub with a jazz policy that hosted everyone from Tubby Hayes to Jimmy Witherspoon. On both occasions John (as he seemed to be called) chatted nicely at the bar during the intermission. My bassist friend Danny Padmore asked him what it was like playing with NHOP. "Man, he's great!" was the reply.

I always regret not going to J Griffin’s in person book signing at Ray’s Jazz about a year or so before he passed away. Alas, the challenges of train travel to London. I did get to see him in what I think was his last London performance at either RFH or Barbican. I think it was with Bobby Hutcherson - must check.

I saw Witherspoon in LA very late in his career, the year before he passed on. It was one of his final appearances I think - quite possibly his last public one.

Edited by sidewinder

I was very fortunate to see Griffin in probably his last appearance in Chicago (he had decamped for France long before).  Look at this line-up! 

March 19, 2005: The Great Chicago Tenor Saxes, featuring Johnny Griffin, Ira Sullivan, Von Freeman, Franz Jackson and Eric Alexander

I think there were only one or two true tenor battles after the intermission, but Griffin snuck on-stage during another number (maybe a piano trio piece?) and was enthusiastically added to mix.

I don't think it was officially recorded but maybe it will surface one day...

8 hours ago, BillF said:

I should add that NHOP was a recent discovery at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Just finished the first (an intriguing look at crime and political corruption in 1920s/early 30s Los Angeles) and am halfway through the second (which is a 2020 reprint of the 1977 edition, with a new foreword by Gornick):

6367573.jpg

9781788735506-aed0031e3aa8023717cb29ddfa

R-1112778-1275332474.jpeg.jpg