Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just started my Dad's latest book "Father Taylor: Boston's Sailor Preacher, as seen and heard by his Contemporaries." Fascinating book that my father worked on researching and compiling for years, and finally has printed via amazon publishing.

41M0gUk4RsL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Finished A Burning. Excellent IMHO.

Good to know.  Should be able to borrow it soon.

Reading Kundera's Life is Elsewhere.  Also have an e-book version of Kevin Brockmeier's The Brief History of the Dead, which incidentally features a man-made virus that wipes out humanity.  Good times...

Not sure what will be after this.  Maybe Joyce Cary's first trilogy or Don Quixote.

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

Good to know.  Should be able to borrow it soon.

Reading Kundera's Life is Elsewhere.  Also have an e-book version of Kevin Brockmeier's The Brief History of the Dead, which incidentally features a man-made virus that wipes out humanity.  Good times...

Not sure what will be after this.  Maybe Joyce Cary's first trilogy or Don Quixote.

I’m taking an open course on Don Quijote through Yale. I’m waiting for the other required books to be delivered. If you’re interested, here’s the link, https://oyc.yale.edu/spanish-and-portuguese

They have lots of other courses in a variety of disciplines. 

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

I’m taking an open course on Don Quijote through Yale. I’m waiting for the other required books to be delivered. If you’re interested, here’s the link, https://oyc.yale.edu/spanish-and-portuguese

They have lots of other courses in a variety of disciplines. 

Thanks.  I'll check it out.  Way, way back when I took a course that centered on Rabelais and artists of his time.  That was neat, though I don't remember all that much from it.

10 minutes ago, Brad said:

Culling books is important. I was asked recently to go through the books in a monastic library, and in a couple of days, over 3,000 useless books were gone (I found a good home for them, and not the dumpster!). No reason to keep something that's not going to be read.

Apparently there is a high-profile anti-library op-ed piece in the Globe and Mail from a publisher (behind a paywall, so I won't link), and somewhat discouragingly, the Globe and Mail didn't let the Toronto Public Library respond.  Publisher's Weekly posted the response instead: https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/libraries/article/83996-canadian-libraries-respond-to-globe-and-mail-essay-attacking-public-libraries.html

To some extent, the publisher seems to be a bit of professional contrarian.  One of his pieces mentioned that crises are good for journalists and publishers alike (so I don't know why he is complaining about TPL at the moment): https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/new-gold-rush/

I think he's a bit of a knob, and I am certainly less likely to order any books from Sutherland House in the future, but hey, it's a free country and he can say what he likes...

I have several of Melville House's Art of the Novella coming in at the library, and I'm most interested in Pushkin's Tales of Belkin and Benoît Duteurtre's The Little Girl and the Cigarette.

I'm about halfway through Kundera's Life is Elsewhere (also a library loan...).  It has its moments where Kundera is parodying romantic poets, though it also drags in places.  I'm definitely not as entranced by this as the novel's ardent admirers, but I'll go ahead and finish it.

On 8/3/2020 at 1:31 PM, ejp626 said:

Apparently there is a high-profile anti-library op-ed piece in the Globe and Mail from a publisher (behind a paywall, so I won't link), and somewhat discouragingly, the Globe and Mail didn't let the Toronto Public Library respond.  Publisher's Weekly posted the response instead: https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/libraries/article/83996-canadian-libraries-respond-to-globe-and-mail-essay-attacking-public-libraries.html

To some extent, the publisher seems to be a bit of professional contrarian.  One of his pieces mentioned that crises are good for journalists and publishers alike (so I don't know why he is complaining about TPL at the moment): https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/new-gold-rush/

I think he's a bit of a knob, and I am certainly less likely to order any books from Sutherland House in the future, but hey, it's a free country and he can say what he likes...

I have several of Melville House's Art of the Novella coming in at the library, and I'm most interested in Pushkin's Tales of Belkin and Benoît Duteurtre's The Little Girl and the Cigarette.

I'm about halfway through Kundera's Life is Elsewhere (also a library loan...).  It has its moments where Kundera is parodying romantic poets, though it also drags in places.  I'm definitely not as entranced by this as the novel's ardent admirers, but I'll go ahead and finish it.

I'm recently retired from library work and currently pissed at management at my former employer, But the writer of that G&M piece is more than a bit of a knob, he's a 'net loss' to literature and life.  The library response was more than reasonable.

Edited by danasgoodstuff