Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty comprehensive and covering all the main bases, plus quite a few obscure sessions. Harry recorded with pretty well everyone over the years. I could have done with a bit more coverage of his life and career - much of it reads like lots of gig and LP reviews taken from old publications but having said that, there is a lot of detail in there, especially about the main LP releases and the BBC sessions. A labour of love for sure and Harry comes across as a lovely guy.

I think the book is now sold out - at least on the Jazz in Britain website. They can’t have printed that many copies !

By the way - ‘Joy Unlimited’ has just been reissued by Cadillac on CD. The story was that the master tapes are lost so must be an LP lift. Great that it is back out there after all these years, one of Harry’s best sessions.

Edited by sidewinder

6 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Pretty comprehensive and covering all the main bases, plus quite a few obscure sessions. Harry recorded with pretty well everyone over the years. I could have done with a bit more coverage of his life and career - much of it reads like lots of gig and LP reviews taken from old publications but having said that, there is a lot of detail in there, especially about the main LP releases and the BBC sessions. A labour of love for sure and Harry comes across as a lovely guy.

I think the book is now sold out - at least on the Jazz in Britain website. They can’t have printed that many copies !

By the way - ‘Joy Unlimited’ has just been reissued by Cadillac on CD. The story was that the master tapes are lost so must be an LP lift. Great that it is back out there after all these years, one of Harry’s best sessions.

Thanks for the detailed review. It is still available through Amazon it seems.  I came across the Cadillac 'Joy Unlimited' reissue whilst looking for the book and ordered the LP

7 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks for the detailed review. It is still available through Amazon it seems.  I came across the Cadillac 'Joy Unlimited' reissue whilst looking for the book and ordered the LP

Must be a vinyl of a needle drop. Didn’t realise they are reissuing on CD and LP.

I have a copy of the original issue - heard this one when it first came out and over the years never saw it for sale second hand. I think the story was that the master tapes were returned to Harry and his Mrs accidentally disposed of them. Or maybe that story was wrong and they were left with John Jack?

Edited by sidewinder

11 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Must be a vinyl of a needle drop. Didn’t realise they are reissuing on CD and LP.

I have a copy of the original issue - heard this one when it first came out and over the years never saw it for sale second hand. I think the story was that the master tapes were returned to Harry and his Mrs accidentally disposed of them. Or maybe that story was wrong and they were left with John Jack?

My needle will drop on a needle drop, all sounds a bit Escher to me

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-08-03 at 4:31 PM, ejp626 said:

I have several of Melville House's Art of the Novella coming in at the library, and I'm most interested in Pushkin's Tales of Belkin and Benoît Duteurtre's The Little Girl and the Cigarette.

I'm about halfway through Kundera's Life is Elsewhere (also a library loan...).  It has its moments where Kundera is parodying romantic poets, though it also drags in places.  I'm definitely not as entranced by this as the novel's ardent admirers, but I'll go ahead and finish it.

Wrapped up Life is Elsewhere but it really didn't do much for me.

I really didn't like Duteurtre's The Little Girl and the Cigarette.  Even though it is short, I abandoned it 1/3 in.  The satire was just so obvious, and it wasn't remotely as daring as the author thought it was.

Tales of Belkin still looks promising and will probably be the next thing I read.  Probably some early Cheever stories after that (from Thirteen Uncollected Stories).

72115.JPG?v=1565196543

Then maybe on to Grossman's translation of Don Quixote, which I've been meaning to start for a while now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-08-17 at 8:35 PM, ejp626 said:

Some early Cheever stories after that (from Thirteen Uncollected Stories).

72115.JPG?v=1565196543

About halfway through this.  Definitely some good stories in here.  It's been far, far too long since I read the canonical Cheever stories, but these early stories tread different ground (from what I can recall).  Mostly they are about men and women at the margins of society, either dancers in burlesque shows or quasi-professional gamblers and other grifters.  I guess it's arguable that Cheever came back around to writing about hard-luck types when he wrote Falconer (rather than this being a completely new direction). 

Technically 2 of these 13 stories ended up in the LOA volume of Cheever's Collected Stories, but one would be hard-pressed to track down the other 11.

Still likely going to read Don Quixote next, though I may sneak in The Pilgrim Hawk by Glenway Wescott, as it is supposed to be quite good and is fairly short.

On 28/08/2020 at 4:11 PM, Matthew said:

Sword of Honor Trilogy by Evelyn Waugh. First book is by far the best, the other are okay, but not earth shaking.

Sword of Honor: Waugh, Evelyn: 9780316216692: Amazon.com: Books

Agree with your assessment of the trilogy. The first book is as good as EW got IMHO.

I've gotten a bit side-tracked but I will start Don Quixote soon.  I'll probably watch the lecture series on Quixote referenced earlier in the thread, and I also stumbled across Nabokov's Lectures on Don Quixote, which looks pretty interesting.  Apparently he has a somewhat unorthodox take on the novel.

In the meantime, I'm struggling to get through the Collected Writings of Joe Brainard (Library of America).

61hlNKuGdML.jpg

It's extremely unclear to me why his very random thoughts and often undercooked personal essays would merit such a tome.  Some of his pieces do have the somewhat tossed off feel of something from a poet from the New York School (say Ted Berrigan, who Brainard knew, or Frank O'Hara), but what works in a poem often doesn't work in a longer, supposedly more structured piece.  That's my take anyway.  I'm definitely leaning towards just dropping this and moving on to something that I will enjoy more.