Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I had forgotten about her. I was knocked out by one of her novels back in the 80s but I can't remember which it was. I should reacquaint myself.

Love Medicine was the first one I read. Have read almost every novel of hers since. This one won the Pulitzer prize.

A new NYRB Classics reprint of this novel by William Gardner Smith, a writer who’s long intrigued me—many years ago I tracked down a copy of his South Street, the only book by him that I’ve read to date. Anybody interested in depictions fictional or otherwise of the mid-20th century Black expatriate community in Paris might want to pick this one up: 

smith.hi-res_2048x2048.jpg?v=1598479178

And

816QKJZrHOL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

Merging Lines: American Railroads 1900-1970, by Richard Saunders, Jr..  He does a good job of pulling an interesting narrative out of the sea of detail that is railroading in 20th Century America.  Lots of maps and other facts and figures, but not overwhelmingly so.  Surely the most thoroughly documented industry ever?  Like baseball, it just seems to lend itself to obsessing over details and stats.  My dad loved trains and so do I, so this renewed interest works for me on many levels.

14 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Merging Lines: American Railroads 1900-1970, by Richard Saunders, Jr..  He does a good job of pulling an interesting narrative out of the sea of detail that is railroading in 20th Century America.  Lots of maps and other facts and figures, but not overwhelmingly so.  Surely the most thoroughly documented industry ever?  Like baseball, it just seems to lend itself to obsessing over details and stats.  My dad loved trains and so do I, so this renewed interest works for me on many levels.

It's an interesting topic. The story of how a country was built.