Now reading...

9 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Gosh. Getting stuck in ahead of the inevitable next lockdown?

Ha ha! Yes, a light summer read.  The edition I have, Oxford World Classics, is surprisingly readable, so far.

Inspired by R4's 'In Our Time' a few months ago.

Edited by mjazzg

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's an interesting topic. The story of how a country was built. 

And then nearly fell apart in its moment of triumph.  RRs are not just a relic of the past, although they will never be as central as they once were.  But they are very well documented (except maybe 'what were they thinking'), but all that data leaves plenty of room for interpretation.  And they impinge on all other sorts of things.  It's hard to not be nostalgic for a time when jazz was jazz, blues was blues, country was country, and the train went everywhere.  I know better, but it's still hard.  Just the sight or sound of a train makes me happy.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently re-read William Maxwell's So Long, See You Tomorrow and am now re-reading his earlier novel the Folded Leaf, both via Library of America volumes of his work.  Beautifully-written books, and while it's hard to say that a writer canonized in the LOA is "underrated," I think more present-day attention would not be unwarranted:

9781598530162.jpg?1445894911

9781598530261.jpg?1445894872

• 2 weeks later...

Future Days: Krautrock and the Building of Modern Germany (English Edition)  eBook : Stubbs, David: Amazon.es: Tienda Kindle

A mesmerizing book about Krautrock. Not only that, it's also about the rebuilding of postwar Germany, as the krautrockers seeked to build a new mode of expression leaving old Germany and also English/American imperialism behind. They were late 60s hippies, and it's all too understandable. And the book is very well written and documented. I can feel that as a half German. I used to spend all my summers in Germany in the 60s (as a kid) and the 70s (as a teenager), and the first 80s (as a twen). And I've got a feeling for what that country was up to. The author, from whom I'm also expecting another book on the history of electronica (Mars by 1980), seems to have a deep knowledge of Germany going back to his own schooldays.

12 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Sally Rooney: Beautiful World, Where Are You

That has a fair deal to live up to given the hype and expectation created by 'Normal People'.  I'm waiting for the paperback

51GrEJxFwuS._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

One that doesn't quite live up to the hype in my opinion but before that I read one that most definitely does

51CtQSspJaL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

Beautifully written 

Between those two I read this which was a stimulating read

51mzolDnlzL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

Just finished reading the complete published (in book form)  works of Frank Conroy-- a total of 5 books, four of which are pretty short.

"Stop Time": a rather disturbing memoir.

"Body and Soul": One of the best novels about music I've read.  

"Mid Air": A collection of short stories.

"Time and Tide": a book about Nantucket, part of the "Crown Journeys Series".

"Dog's Bark, but the Caravan Rolls On": a collection of articles and essays several about music and musicians in which we learn that Conroy sometimes supported himself as a piano player who jammed  with (amongst others) Mingus, Paul Desmond and Charlie Watts. He writes that after Mingus had "...once again sat in with me. "What's going on, Charlie? You're the best bassist in the world and I'm a putzer."  

"You are," he said expansively, "an authentic primitive. That is true." He leaned forward and lowered his voice. "But you swing."

He does indeed. 

On 10/5/2021 at 9:12 AM, Dub Modal said:

Just finished up what I would consider essential reading if you have any curiosity about the subject:

The-Judas-Factor-Malcolm-X-C101-215x300.

And now cracking open a book that put this particular author's life in danger, and unfortunately resulted in the assassination of journalist Henry Liu: 

Soong-Dynasty-Seagrave-Sterling-97800609

From what I have read Liu’s assassination was a result of his bio of Chiang, not the Seagrave book, which was very good.