Now reading...

13 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

😯 I just reread TSAR last summer (in the new LOA edition) and think I remember seeing a reference around that time to this particular book. 

Getting ready to start this newly-arrived NYRB Classic:

Transit.jpg?v=1528394293

Wonderful book. 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/9/2021 at 10:01 PM, BillF said:

510nbBVRPVL._SX344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51-crqshTyL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Joe Orton appeared (characterized by some actor) in a movie I once saw. I just don't remember which movie. He was living in Tangier in the early 60s, when a lot of beats lived there. And Bowles, of course. And that life in Tangier appeared in the movie. I still have the image of him and his partner lying in the sun on a rooftop in my mind.

58 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

Joe Orton appeared (characterized by some actor) in a movie I once saw. I just don't remember which movie. He was living in Tangier in the early 60s, when a lot of beats lived there. And Bowles, of course. And that life in Tangier appeared in the movie. I still have the image of him and his partner lying in the sun on a rooftop in my mind.

Yes, there's a photo in the biography of Orton, his partner (and later, murderer) Kenneth Halliwell and British actor Kenneth Williams.

Here it is (l to r: Orton, Williams, Halliwell):

tumblr_p7754orV8j1qzzsdjo1_1280.jpg

Oh, great. Thanks. I didn't know he'd been murdered by his partner. Though it sure is in the movie. But I remember it very hazily. Probably long ago.

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

This one perhaps? Very good, written by Bennett and two very good actors in Oldman and Molina

Yes it was that one. Sure. For some reason I mixed it up with My beautiful launderette and thought it was something else.

I’ve read four of Kevin Starr’s California history volumes—the ones covering the 1920s, 30s, 40s, and 1950-1963—but never realized until a phone conversation with a friend several nights ago that there was a second 1930s entry that serves as an interstitial piece in Starr’s narrative. Now eagerly diving into it, as I’ve greatly enjoyed the four that I already read in the early aughts:

61I%2B5ItWvnL._AC_UL600_SR417,600_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Any good?  I never enjoy McEwan novels as much as all the hype suggests I should but always willing to give him another shot

Well, who's better in this country today? Dwarfed, though, I'd say, by the likes of Jonathan Franzen and Richard Ford, but they're American. 

As in jazz, a shortage of giants today IMHO.