• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Brad said:

The narrator of this book is Joseph Roth’s Rebellion. Half the book deals with Roth and the other with the current owner, whose grandfather saved it from a Nazi book burning in 1933. Unusual and strange book. 

7769B188-50B1-4CD7-B7B1-31415F29075F.jpeg

that's one of the Joseph Roth books I know the least... sound very interesting ... (moving in with my girlfirend soon, so the Joseph Roth Poster will probably have to move to my office... those tradeoffs...moving the record collection to my office is not an option for various reasons)

4 hours ago, Niko said:

that's one of the Joseph Roth books I know the least... sound very interesting ... (moving in with my girlfirend soon, so the Joseph Roth Poster will probably have to move to my office... those tradeoffs...moving the record collection to my office is not an option for various reasons)

Have you read the Radetzky March?  There was also the sequel, the Emperor’s Tomb. Not as good as the Radetzky March but still worthwhile. 

It's been a while but I read most of Roth's ficition and quite a bit of the non-fiction at some point... I liked the Emperor's Tomb a lot actually, other favorites were Flight without End (best of the early work, can also be read as an indirect sequel to Radetzky March even though the family is named Tunda there and not Trotta) and Weights and Measures (my favorite among his Eastern Jewish themed work, I like it better than Job for instance)

10 hours ago, Niko said:

It's been a while but I read most of Roth's ficition and quite a bit of the non-fiction at some point... I liked the Emperor's Tomb a lot actually, other favorites were Flight without End (best of the early work, can also be read as an indirect sequel to Radetzky March even though the family is named Tunda there and not Trotta) and Weights and Measures (my favorite among his Eastern Jewish themed work, I like it better than Job for instance)

Thanks. I haven’t read his other work. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 10:46 AM, ghost of miles said:

Damn, this is a good book.  Really seems to capture the vibe of 1969, at least from the vantage point of being on the road with the Stones--a road that's leading to Altamont:

51+0JxYMorL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Stanley Booth is a Memphian and, I believe, lives in my neighborhood.  He has a collection about Memphis musicians called Rhythm Oil that I can hardly recommend highly enough.

5 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Stanley Booth is a Memphian and, I believe, lives in my neighborhood.  He has a collection about Memphis musicians called Rhythm Oil that I can hardly recommend highly enough.

Yep, I picked that one up after reading True Adventures, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  Fascinating writer!

Der Fremde.“ (Albert Camus) – Buch antiquarisch kaufen – A02uQtUV01ZZX

Otherwise known as L'Etranger. Yes, this one also belonged to my mother. Purchase date Sep. 1961. I believe this is where the idea for The Cure's Killing an arab comes from. I think I already read it, but like 40 years ago. So I'm rereading it.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:31 PM, jlhoots said:

Looking forward to the next Don Winslow: City On Fire - comes out next week

That's one I've ordered from my regular bookshop as well. I'm a big Winslow fan and have read almost anything he's put out. But there's his debut from 1991, I think, which I can't get hold of. And I ordered it but it's OOP. I think it's called something like Underground. If anybody has a clue as to how to find it I'd be very grateful.

Edited by Bluesnik